in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Audiobook Review: Let Love In by Melissa Collins, Narrated by Shirl Rae and Sean Crisden


Let Love In is the first book in the Love series by Melissa Collins. This is the first book of hers that I have ever read, and it is also the first audiobook that I have ever listened to from narrators Shirl Rae and Sean Crisden. While I did like the story, I did have a few problems with the narrators of this story.

Maddy lost her parents at a young age and was forced to leave everything she knew to go and live with her aunt. When she lost her aunt, she moved in with her best friend Melanie and her mom. They were the family that she hadn't had for years, and yet Maddy still felt alone. When Maddy and Melanie head to college, Maddy decided to change her life and start taking things a day at a time. She vowed to protect her heart and not let things get to her anymore. But she never planned on meeting Reid. Although Maddy and Reid were instantly attracted to one another and had a connection, things don't get off on the right foot for these two. But after Reid rescues Maddy one night, things change between them and soon they are embracing the connection between them. But with Maddy and Reid both having painful pasts with things that neither of them have confronted, can their love survive?

I liked both Reid and Maddy, but they both had some serious issues. They had both experienced pain and loss, and both of them did their best to run and avoid actually dealing with it. While they might have opened up to one another about things, they still didn't actually make peace with it. Because of that, the love and connection they shared was bound to have some ups and downs. I thought that Maddy acted pretty immaturely at times, as did Reid. Reid was also a jerk at first for no good reason. I felt like these two needed to grow up a bit, and they did have moments where they did seem to make some progress. They had a lot of chemistry and I felt like they were good for one another. But their relationship developed extremely fast, and was bit too insta-love for me. I wanted to see it develop a bit more before they just jumped in after everything that had happened. I thought that it was a little unbelievable considering the fact that Reid had never had any real relationships and was such a player before. It just didn't feel real with how quick everything happened. Not that I didn't believe in Maddy and Reid as a couple, I just didn't buy how fast everything got so serious and how rapidly Reid changed his ways.

Overall, I did like this story. While the story was a bit cheesy at times and a lot sweet, I did find it enjoyable. I liked Reid and Maddy together despite how they got together, and I felt like these two were a good couple. I am definitely interested to see where their story goes from here. The ending was a cliffhanger, and the story does continue in the next book which I can't wait to get my hands on. I will say that the real problems I had with this one though wasn't the actual story, but the narrators telling it. The story is told in dual POV which I love because you get to see what both the hero and heroine are going through. But I had problems with each of the narrators. I thought that Shirl Rae was overly dramatic at times, and it made the sweeter moments of this story come off as extremely cheesy. As much as I didn't care for Shirl Rae, I didn't like Sean Crisden even more. His voice came off as robotic much of the time, and when it wasn't robotic he was even more over the top and dramatic than Shirl Rae was. His voice felt too old for the character, and it sounded like a middle aged man reading the part of a college student. It just didn't work for me, and came off a bit creepy at times. I did not like his parts at all and found myself hoping to get back to Maddy's POV faster so that I wouldn't have to listen to his voice. While I liked getting Reid's POV, I wish it had been told by someone else as the narrator. I will definitely read the next book in the series as I have to know what happens next for these two after the way things were left in this one and I look forward to more from Melissa Collins in the future. But I honestly don't know if I would be able to listen to more from either of these narrators.

**Audiobook Provided by Tantor Audio**

Purchase: | Audiobook | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | Book Depository |





0 comments :

Post a Comment