in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

ARC Review: Did I Mention I Love You? by Estelle Maskame


Did I Mention I Love You? is the first book in the DIMILY Trilogy from Estelle Maskame. Each book in this series is an installment in Eden and Tyler's story, so keep in mind that there are cliffhangers with these books. While I was prepared for some of that, I wasn't prepared for just how many things seem to have been brought up and left unresolved. I am curious to see how the rest of the series will go though, and I am hoping that everything will be dealt with before it is over. I am unconvinced that there need to be three books however, and I am hoping that it doesn't become too drawn out and that there is actually enough story to warrant three complete books. 

After finally giving in to her father's request, Eden heads to California to stay for the summer with the father that she hasn't seen for three years along with his new wife and her three new stepbrothers. Eden gets the unfortunate room next door to her oldest stepbrother Tyler, the only one she immediately can't stand. But as she makes friends with the girl across the street, she finds herself drawn into his group of friends and they are constantly in the same place as one another. Soon Eden is wondering what makes Tyler act the way he does and do the things he does, and she finds herself falling for the one person she not only doesn't want to, but also shouldn't. 

I will admit that I had issues with both Tyler and Eden here. Tyler did a lot of things I didn't like at all, and he also was a complete jerk at times. He was obviously dealing with a lot, but at the same time he lashed out at everyone and at times it was hard to really see why any of them made the effort they did when it came to him. Eden had times where I liked her, and times where I thought that she was really weak. I didn't like the fact that she allowed Tyler and his group of friends to push her around so much and she often times did things she didn't want to just because she allowed them to coerce her into it. While I didn't like things about each of them, I did like them together. I found myself rooting for them despite everything, and there were moments where these two really fit together perfectly. When it was just the two of them without all the drama and outside influences thrown in, Eden and Tyler were surprisingly good together and seemed to be forming a great connection. 

The one thing that I will say is that while these characters are high school aged and would appear to be in the young adult genre, I wouldn't recommend this to young readers. There were too many touchy subjects here, including constant drug use (abuse) and sexual situations, for this to be one I would consider appropriate for the young adult audience. While these characters had a lot of moments of immaturity and things that frustrated me, I have to say that some of that is to be expected with younger characters. I am trying to keep an open mind when it comes to them, because I really do like Eden and Tyler together. I am hoping that some of the things that were left unresolved here will start to be dealt with in the next book, as I think there were a ton of things brought up and just dropped here. So far this is an interesting group of characters and as much as I had issues here, I am curious to know more and get the rest of the story.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes | 





0 comments :

Post a Comment