in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

ARC Review: Exes With Benefits by Nicole Williams


I honestly have mixed feelings about this book and it has taken me awhile to put my thoughts together. I usually try to write my reviews right after I finish a book, so that everything is fresh in my mind and my feelings are clear. But with this book I really didn't know how I felt so it took awhile to think on it, which is why I ended up rating this book 3 stars. Exes With Benefits by Nicole Williams had some things I really loved, but then there were things that I didn't and that left me feeling as though this one was just okay. 

Maggie Church and Canaan Ford grew up together as friends and eventually it blossomed into more. When a surprise pregnancy right out of high school had them getting married, they both knew they were young and things quickly got bad as they started fighting. But Canaan was also broken from a tragedy that had occurred years before. Needing to escape, he turned to fighting and alcohol to numb himself and it got to the point that Maggie could no longer watch him self-destruct and left him behind. Now five years later a tragedy finally brings her home and she finds herself face to face with Canaan. She is ready to move on for good and wants a divorce, but Canaan isn't ready to let her go and bargains with a month to prove they belong together. But can he show her that he has changed and that they were always meant to be? 

I absolutely loved Canaan. Of all the issues I had here, he wasn't one of them. He was sexy and sweet, and I loved his unwavering love and devotion to Maggie. No matter what happened, he never stopped loving her or wanted anyone else. It was so refreshing to see a hero that knew he had messed up and worked hard to overcome that and better himself, all while staying faithful to someone he wasn't sure would ever come back. I liked Maggie at times, but did have some issues with her. I understood her leaving and felt for all that she had gone through. I really did. But I didn't like that she started moving on, all while still married to him and never having resolved anything. I also struggled with how she acted at times, constantly throwing Canaan's past mistakes in his face. It was so obvious that he had changed, it wasn't just his words but also his actions. So I really hated that she continued to do it throughout the entire story. The chemistry and connection was clear, but I was ready for her to dump the boyfriend and get back to being with Canaan like she was supposed to be. Especially since she had no problem being physical with Canaan, even when she would try and talk herself out of it.

Overall, I just struggled with Maggie and how things went down a lot. I do understand the initial leaving and being strong for herself, but I didn't get how she handled things in the present. It just felt like she was kind of a hypocrite at times saying one thing and doing the opposite. I didn't like that she continued to punish Canaan for their past when it was obvious there was a reason for his actions, even if she didn't know them. I still liked this book and loved Canaan, but was left with mixed feelings mostly on Maggie. I think a lot of readers will enjoy this one, so if you are on the fence I recommend giving it a go. Canaan is amazing and definitely worth the read.

**ARC Provided by Ardent PRose**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes




0 comments :

Post a Comment