in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, April 30, 2018

Review: Birthday Girl by Penelope Douglas


I have to be honest and say that I couldn’t wait to read this book, yet at the same time I was a bit scared to tell the truth. I loved Bully and the Fall Away series, but I have struggled with the last few books from Penelope Douglas because I felt like they were all so similar. Like she had taken characteristics from Jared and just changed names and small details of the story to release a new book. Birthday Girl completely restored my faith in her again though, and made me remember everything I had loved about Penelope’s books to begin with. 

Birthday Girl is a standalone forbidden romance featuring Jordan and Pike. Jordan and Pike first meet on a chance encounter and are immediately drawn together, but since Jordan has a boyfriend nothing happens between them. But when Jordan and her boyfriend Cole have to move out of their apartment and in with his dad, she comes face to face with Pike. Pike never expected to be so drawn to his son’s girlfriend, but the more time they spend together the more he realizes why none of his relationships have ever worked out. But what happens when they find their attraction and connection more than they can continue to fight? 

I loved these characters so much. They might have been 19 years apart and forbidden due to how they met and their circumstances, yet they couldn’t have been more perfect for one another. Pike and Jordan were made for each other. They connected emotionally as well as physically, and I couldn’t get enough of them. They shared common interests and you could just feel how genuine everything was between them. I loved the slow burn and chemistry between them, and I was on the edge of my seat waiting for things to explode between them. I was lost in their world and never wanted it to end. I really cannot even begin to describe how much I loved this book and Pike and Jordan. Pike was sexy and sweet, thoughtful and caring. Jordan was genuine and sweet, and I loved how she fit with Pike. They were everything the other needed. 

Overall, this might be my favorite book Penelope Douglas has written. It was forbidden which has always been my jam, but it was so much more than that. It was believable and just felt right. It wasn’t forbidden just to be forbidden, but the story was good and the characters felt like they were supposed to wind up where they did because that was their story. Nothing about it was forced and honestly I found myself lost in their story so much that their ages didn’t even register to me and neither did their circumstances. This truly felt like a situation where these two had always been meant to wind up where they did and I was just happy to be along for the ride with them. I can’t recommend this one enough. As soon as I finished, I wanted to start it all over again and immediately went and ordered the paperback so that I could add it to my favorites shelf. This will definitely be one I read over and over again, and I am really looking forward to getting to know Jordan’s friend Dani better in her book Motel.

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes |





0 comments :

Post a Comment