in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, September 16, 2018

ARC Review: Stray Magic by Kelly Meding


Stray Magic is the first book in Kelly Meding’s new series. It centers on a half djinn/half human U.S. Marshal in the Paranormal Investigations Unit, Shiloh Harrison; which quickly brings to mind two of my favorite authors Shiloh Walker and Kim Harrison. The whole book reminds me of different elements of other Urban Fantasy series and its own unique elements wonderfully blended together to make a very addictive world. There were also moments that brought to mind a movie and I was screaming at the book, “What’s in the BOX!” knowing full and well what was in the box and another part that had me thinking of the show Lost Girl which had me bemoaning the main character cause I knew what would happen. It was a fast paced story something is always happening and as it is in first person this all happens to Shiloh. It takes me a bit to adjust to first person especially if I haven’t read one in a while but I quickly adjusted to this one, it definitely feels like she’s showing me that story rather than telling me, which for me is a good thing. The book starts and it kind of just throws you in and vaguely explains things along the way, she explains enough without over explaining. I understand that there is a short story that predates this one I really think it needs to be re-released.

Shiloh was supposed to start her long weekend after a long stakeout but instead of spending some time with her boyfriend she gets called onto a case. Shiloh’s teammates: the incubus Novak, the dhampir Kathleen, the skin walker (and ex-boyfriend) Jaxon and their boss Julius, human. A bunch of vampires took a trailer park hostage, they can’t find their boss, and the vampire master Tennyson has asked for help regarding a bunch of vampires and werewolves that have gone missing. Shiloh spends the whole book trying to figure out what’s going on and getting closer to Tennyson who asked for help and is also helping Shiloh in her investigation. Along the way other things happen and her mom and dad get sucked into the mess as well. The story really takes you on a ride that doesn’t let up.

The characters were wonderfully done and the plot was fantastic. I love that while Shiloh is a badass, tough U.S. Marshal she’s also very emotional. She’s emotionally invested in the whole case the case becomes very personal to the whole team and she’s not afraid of her emotions or embarrassed by them. It also gives the reader a better insight into the other characters and how she perceives them helps them seem more real. Overall, it’s a very addictive story that left me cursing at the end because while this case ended there were some loose string left open for the next book.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N |


0 comments :

Post a Comment