in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Guest Review: Lord of Darkness by Elizabeth Hoyt


It is hard to explain how much I loved this book and why. I have read and thoroughly enjoyed all of the previous books in the Maiden Lane series. Hoyt does a very good job of making each book its own unique story within the context of the series. Lord of Darkness (#5 in the series) is absolutely my favorite. The best reason why is that it touched me (OK, I cried, a lot).

Godric St. John and Margaret (Megs) married under difficult circumstances. She was pregnant by a lover who had been killed so her brother arranged the marriage to save her from shame. Godric and Megs immediately went their separate ways - she to the country where she lost the baby, he to London. Their only communication for two years is through letters. Suddenly Megs (with relatives in tow) returns to London with two agendas - to have a baby by her husband and to avenge the death of her love who she believes was killed by the Ghost of St. Giles. Little does she know that Godric is the Ghost of St. Giles, at least one of them. Godric has lived the life of a monk since the death of his beloved wife. Can these two turn loose of their past and find a new love?

Elizabeth Hoyt is very good at creating complex, interesting characters. These two don't seem to go together, but somehow it works. Megs is young, bubbly and enthusiastic. Godric is older, serious and scarred. This is definitely a nice girl/nice guy story. I love that she is won over by his intrinsic goodness. I love that Hoyt lets them have complicated, not-so-good sex. It's interesting to see the characters from previous books return. And, as with the other Maiden Lane books, Hoyt offers an intricate setup for the next book, coming in October.

Just to clarify, I am a sentimental sobber. When I love the hero and heroine, and they make a connection that rings genuine and true, I blubber like a baby. In Lord of Darkness I started blubbering long before the last page. These two characters with their sad histories just ripped at my heartstrings. It was when they began to realize that they could love again that I lost it. Oh, and I failed to mention that the beginning of the book was really funny. Sure way to get a great review from me? Making me laugh and make me cry. This one did both, in spades! Loved, loved, loved it.

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository |




3 comments :

  1. I already planned to read this book - this review just makes me want it even quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this book for all the reasons you did! I think that Lord of Darkness was more of an emotional book whereas the previous book was more about action and passion. Elizabeth Hoyt writes such amazing books.

    Adria
    Adria's Romance Reviews Among Wildlings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I was in tears too it was so... heartbreaking at times, but such a wonderful read. I loved this book <3 my first by her, I am going to have to go back and read the others.

    ReplyDelete