in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, June 30, 2014

Review: Mad Love by Colet Abedi


I will admit that when I first started reading this book, I wondered what I had gotten myself into. I was fearing the worst and honestly thought that I wasn't going to like it. But I am so glad that I kept reading because I ended up really liking Mad Love. It held my interest and was engaging after the first few chapters, and I didn't want to put it down after that. I will tell you that there was one surprise that I wasn't expecting that really irritated me though and that is that this is not a standalone book. It is said nowhere that this story ends with a cliffhanger, and I haven't been able to find out how many more books there will be. I do know that there will be at least one more, but there is no release date at this time.

When 23 year old Sophie Walker's life begins to fall apart she asks her best friends to go with her on a vacation to the Maldives. She just broke up with her boyfriend Jerry, deciding that no matter how good of friends they are she can't be in a relationship with no passion. She also informs her parents that she doesn't want to be a lawyer, but instead wants to pursue her art. When she arrives in paradise she is expecting to get away not to be immediately drawn to the handsome and enigmatic Clayton Sinclair. Clayton is rich and decides that he wants Sophie and will stop at nothing to have her. Sophie quickly realizes that she is out of her league though, and questions how Clayton could want someone like her. But Clayton and Sophie are drawn to each other like they have never experienced before, and Sophie finally finds the passion that was missing from her life. But can Sophie and Clayton possibly have anything real between them when their time in paradise is limited and there is still much that they don't know about each other?

I will say that I didn't like Clayton at all when we first meet him in Mad Love. He was cocky and arrogant and came off as a complete ass. As you get to know him better and see more of his character though he really grows on you. He is a straight up possessive alpha, but he was also a lot more than that. You could tell that he was used to getting his way and being able to make any woman his with little effort. He was out of his depth with the feisty Sophie though, and it was good to see him have to work for it a bit. Sophie was feisty and fun, but she was also insecure and vulnerable. She didn't see what could possibly draw someone like Clayton to her and it made her act irrationally at times. But I think part of that was due to her age, and she should have spent more time discussing her fears and insecurities with Clayton. I also felt like she made some snap decisions that weren't the best, and she could have seriously benefited from better communication. That seemed to be her biggest problem. I thought that Clayton and Sophie had a lot of chemistry and I liked that they seemed to fit well together. I do think that the majority of their connection was physical though, and I would have liked to have seen them have a stronger emotional bond than I saw develop in this one. I think that they were on their way to more though, and I think that regardless of how this book ended that there is a lot more to their story.

Besides being absolutely blindsided by the ending cliffhanger, I also thought that this book was a bit on the overdone and cliched side. Don't get me wrong I liked the story, but honestly once I got into this one and saw that it was a virgin and billionaire story I rolled my eyes a bit. The one thing that was different this time though was the age difference between them. I haven't read any before that had an eleven year age gap, and I think that is part of what helped me to get over how similar this story was to others. I felt that added a new twist to the same old thing, and it will be interesting to see how that comes into play in the next book. I think that is part of why Sophie and Clayton's actions drove me nuts, because they both act a bit young at times and I felt like they both needed to do some growing up. I have to say though that Sophie's best friend Erik and his boyfriend Orie were so much fun! I freaking loved those two, and they absolutely made this story! I hope we get a ton more of them in the next book. I really did end up enjoying this book, and that is why the ending annoyed me so much. At that point I was so invested in the story, that I felt a bit betrayed that I had no warning. It was like the floor just fell out from underneath me. I really hope that the next book comes out soon, because I need to know what happens next for Clayton and Sophie. To me this story had a bit of a 50 Shades feel, but in a NA kind of way. I would definitely give it a shot if you are a NA fan and like your heroes to be all alpha all the time. I will be anxiously awaiting the next part of the story, and look forward to reading more from Colet Abedi in the future.

**Review Copy Provided by Inkslinger PR**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | The Book Depository |





0 comments :

Post a Comment