in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Review: Breakaway by Catherine Gayle


I have to admit that when I first read the blurb for Breakaway by Catherine Gayle, I pretty much knew that this one was going to be the book for me. Not only do I love the brother's best friend and little sister trope, but I am also a huge fan of sports and sports romance stories with hockey being my absolute favorite! All that being said though, this book was so good and yes it was partly due to those things but it was also just a really well written and interesting book! I really loved Catherine Gayle's writing style, and I was instantly drawn into the story. I loved the characters and found them very easy to like and relate to, and I loved that they were so real. I would definitely recommend this book and I already can't wait to go back and read it again.

After suffering an unimaginable attack, Dana Campbell has spent the last several years trying to stop having panic attacks. The simple touch of a man brings out the worst reaction in Dana and she is unable to accept even a simple hug from even her family members. When her counselor suggests that she find someone she trusts in order to help get over her fear, the only person that comes to mind is her brother's best friend Eric Zellinger. With the playoffs coming up, the last thing that Eric needs is to lose focus. But when Dana comes to him and asks for his help, he can hardly tell her no. He knows that what she is asking for is dangerous for many reasons. Not only does he not want to torture her and put her through pain, but he also knows that her brother will kill him if he finds out that he is touching Dana. Can Eric help Dana get over her fears and allow her to move forward with her life and help her have a normal relationship in the future? And what happens when Dana and Eric's feelings for each other start to deepen?

I really loved Eric. There wasn't a single thing about him that I didn't like. He was so kind and patient, and he was so sweet with Dana. He had always been fond of her and they had always had such a close relationship. But it was clear that he had been ready for more with her for quite awhile. He didn't know how to handle things with Dana all the time, but I loved that he would ask her when he didn't. Instead of being the typical guy, he made it a point to see what she needed and what would help her. I couldn't help but admire that about him and fall a little more in love with his character each time. He was willing to put his friendship with her brother on the line because of his feelings for her, and that told me just how deep his feelings for her went. I also loved Dana. She had been through so much, and more than anyone should ever have to go through. But instead of giving up and using it as an excuse, she sought treatment and asked for help. I loved that even though she knew it was a lot to ask, she was brave enough to put herself out there and go through what had to be torture for her at times. She was such an easy heroine to support, and I loved that even though she didn't think that there was a real relationship with Eric for most of the story she went about things like there was. She made friends with the wives and girlfriends of the guys on the team, and did what she could to be a part of the team. I thought that Eric and Dana had a ton of chemistry, but what really made their relationship one of a kind was the connection between them. They were adorable together, and you could see just how strong of an emotional bond that they had.

I loved this book and the characters in it. I thought that the secondary characters were just as interesting as Eric and Dana, and I can't wait to get to know them better. I really just loved everything about this book, and I thought that it was filled with so much hope and love. I really enjoyed seeing Dana heal and grow with Eric's help, but it was also due to all the characters in the story. Some of the guys on the team did what they could to help, even if it was something small. This book just really resonated with me, and I know it will stick with me. I thought it was so sweet of Eric to have made a room for Dana before she ever even showed up at his house, and he thought of absolutely everything for her. I can't say enough good things about this story, and I highly recommend it to all romance fans looking for a sweet and hopeful love story. This one really showed that true love can overcome anything and that even the most awful of situations can be moved past. I will warn that because of Dana's past there are a few times that rape is mentioned and she does describe what happened to her at one point, so if you have any triggers just keep that in mind before reading. Honestly though, this book was fantastic and I can't wait to read the rest of the series and more from Catherine Gayle in the future.

**Review Copy Provided by AToMR**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | The Book Depository |





1 comments :

  1. I loved this book! The next two books in the series (and the novella in the anthology) don't disappoint either!

    Marcy Shuler

    ReplyDelete