in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

ARC Review: One Night With Her Ex by Lucy King


I was really excited to read this book after reading the blurb. I couldn't wait to start this second chance love story and see Lily and Kit get their HEA. I was a little bit apprehensive because I had never read anything by Lucy King before, but figured it was worth a shot. While I did enjoy the first bit of this book, after about half way through this one really went down hill for me. I have to say that this wasn't at all what I had been expecting and I had some pretty big problems with this book. Beware that there will be spoilers in this review, because I can't possibly give you my opinion without stating a few things that happened.

After a bad ending to a date on New Year's Eve, Lily is shocked when her ex-husband shows up at her door wanting to talk. After their marriage fell apart and Kit cheated on her five years ago, they haven't spoken at all. Things start off bad between them, but after they start talking they both realize that they are different people than they were when they were married. After a bit of talking, they also realize that the attraction is still between them and things heat up between them. Kit starts to think that maybe it is time that they gave things another chance and see if they could make a go of it together. But Lily has her doubts, and doesn't know if she can let herself trust him again. Can Kit convince her that they are meant to be together and that things will be different the second time?

I really wanted to like Kit and Lily, but every time that I would start to like them they would do something that drove me nuts. Kit and Lily were both at fault for the failure of their marriage. They didn't communicate well, Lily ran rather than face what was going on, but I don't think that any of that excuses Kit's cheating. He made a horrible decision, and I felt like it was pretty much unforgivable. Every time it was brought up it almost seemed to be attributed to Lily rather than Kit, and I really wanted him to take responsibility for his mistake. I felt like Lily was constantly apologizing when she wasn't the one who had screwed up the most. Yes she had things to apologize for and that she had done wrong, but for some reason it seemed to be her that was blamed every time. Lily had absolutely no back bone and I just felt like she was so weak. It was hard to relate to her, and honestly I didn't really have any sympathy for her when she couldn't even face her problems or stand up for herself. Because when she wasn't running and avoiding, she was saying she was sorry. I did think that Kit and Lily had chemistry, but honestly I just couldn't get past everything that had happened between them.

I also had a huge problem with the fact that Lily let a huge thing go later on in the book as well. After finding out that Kit still works with the woman he cheated on her with, Lily gives him an ultimatum and demands that he either fire her PR firm, have the woman fired, or have her transferred to another team. Kit flat out refuses and Lily waits all of a few hours before she is calling him to try and apologize for being unfair and demanding too much. Are you kidding me? If I was her, the cheating would be bad enough but for him to still be working with her would be game over. Especially when he didn't even clue her in until she found out herself. For someone trying to prove that they love you and never stopped and that they are worth a second shot, he sure was bad at regaining her trust and being completely upfront. If all that wasn't bad enough, Lily's sister then starts telling Lily what a huge mistake she is making and that she needs to apologize more and that she has no reason not to trust him again because he hasn't done anything wrong recently. I just couldn't stop rolling my eyes and face-palming, and honestly it just went from bad to worse. Not really sure why I finished, except at that point I felt like I had to see it through. I have to say that this is not a book that I would recommend, and I think that a lot of people will have the exact same problems with this story that I did. It just didn't work for me and I couldn't get behind anything in this story.

**ARC Provided by Harlequin**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | The Book Depository |





0 comments :

Post a Comment