in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, July 26, 2015

The Taming of the Billionaire by Jessica Clare


You know how if you saw a blind monkey riding a tricycle with two wheels down the street during rush hour you would think to yourself, ‘well this sh!t won’t end well?’ That’s the feeling you get from the set up to Edie and Magnus’ relationship. And just like you wouldn’t be able to take your eyes off that poor monkey headed for disaster, it’s hard to put this book down. I don’t want to spoil anything for you but the way that Edie and Magnus come together has “disaster ahead” written all over it. But OH IS THE ENDING WORTH IT.

Edie is a self-described…cat lady. Like she has a bunch of mothereffing cats…7 to be exact. She’s a bit young for the cat lady moniker but she injured herself and had to give up her life dreams and become more of a…cat person. I don’t know. What I do know is that the EXCESSIVE references to cat hair and cats in this book had my nose running, my skin itching and my eyes watering like a cat was in the room with me. For someone with a cat allergy, like me, there were just too many damn cats in this book. Wait…what was I talking about? Oh yeah, Edie. Beyond having too many cats, Edie was also a self described b!tch. She was described that way by several other people in the book too. Edie was a little abrasive but that wasn’t off putting to me at all. Maybe because nothing is as off putting to me as a harem of cats? Her reactions seemed appropriate to me given that several other characters in the book were just a-holes who deserved to get flipped the bird as Edie often did.

Magnus is a video game developer/billionaire who initially comes off as an a-hole but later seems like a genuinely nice guy. For reasons that I can’t fathom, Magnus is turned on by everything about Edie that makes other people stare at her in horror. He loves how she interacts with her cat brothel. He finds her rudeness refreshing and sees it as covering for her extreme sensitivity. He thinks her limp makes her hips jut out in a sexy way. Seriously, if this chick had a mole the size of of a baby giraffe, Magnus would be like ‘aww, I love giraffes.’ Anyway, I’m not knocking him for any of that. It is true romance when someone can love you through the crazy that makes other people avoid direct eye contact with you.

I really liked the relationship between these two characters (even though it was littered with cat hair). There is a sweetness to their development as a couple that is compelling. I like the way their histories emerge in the story and how they both realize that they are in unhealthy relationships with their siblings. I love the accommodations Magnus makes for Edie and I really love how he does it inconspicuously so she doesn’t feel like he thinks she needs help. Edie and Magnus’ siblings, Bianca and Levi, play co-starring roles in this book. They are both crazy as hell but their shenanigans adds extra flavor to the story without overshadowing it.

The end of the book when all the secrets are revealed is my favorite part. Oh and don’t think you know what secrets I’m talking about because the author has a few tricks up her sleeve. I enjoyed the ultimate resolution and honestly that’s what boosted this book into the realm of really good in my mind. I almost didn’t make it through the cat hair, really. If you think I’m over-emphasizing the amount of cat ish in this book, multiply what I’m saying by 12 and you’ll have an idea of how prevalent cats are in this story. I’m glad I stuck it out and finished this book though because on top of a really sweet romance, there was smoking HAWT sex (how did I almost forget that?).

I had to think long and hard about my numerical rating of this book. For me, the cats and Edie’s description (she wore baggie clothes and two Laura Ingles braids behind her ears, I mean REALLY!) make this a 3 star book. If I remove the cats from the calculation and focus on the things I like about Edie, this might actually be a 5 star book. I’m splitting the difference and giving it 4 stars. If you’re a cat person, this will totally be a 5 star read for you.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes | Kobo |



0 comments :

Post a Comment