in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, June 20, 2016

ARC Review: For 100 Days by Lara Adrian


I should have really loved this book but I didn't. I'm a fan of the Cinderella story and I love brooding bossy alpha males. I really thought this book would be a hit for me but something went wrong with the characters. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get into Avery and Nick. Avery is a struggling artist trying to make her way in the big city. There is some issue which is alluded to with her Mother in which her Mother is locked up for killing her Stepfather. Avery is determined to make a better life for herself away from whatever happened in the past. Nick is an arrogant, rude billionaire who knows exactly what he wants and "reaches for it." I didn't just make that up, it's like his motto that he repeats in the book 'when I see something I want, I reach for it.' (Awk-ward).

Avery meets Nick at a point when she is damn near homeless and has lost her spot at a local gallery where her art was being displayed because the owner decided the work wasn't good enough. There is instant attraction between Avery and Nick. I can deal with instant attraction but what confused me was the instant depth of Avery's understanding of Nick. There is a scene where Avery looks at Nick and just based on his facial expression she intuits that he is covering some deep down hurt which she feels compelled to uncover. I was really confused about how Avery knew anything about Nick based on that one look. I was even more confused when Avery started feeling some deep connection to Nick based on their shared past suffering....that she guessed based on his facial expression.

Avery and Nick wind up sleeping together pretty early on. Again, I have no problem with things moving along at a fast pace but things got kind of silly afterwards. The day after sleeping together Avery is locking herself in a closet at work and having phone sex with Nick, after which she does not hear from him for a week. During the week break, Avery learns that Nick owned the gallery where her art hung before he decided she wasn't good enough. I thought this was going to be some kind of a coincidence but it wasn't. It turned out Nick knew exactly who Avery was BEFORE he slept with her. When she confronted him about her identity, he admits that yes he knew who she was and yes he thought her art wasn't good enough to be displayed so what's the big deal? Avery is determined to be angry but it last all of two seconds before she can't resist him anymore and the issue of her being a professional failure is dropped. I just didn't get Avery at all. I didn't get why she felt the way she did about Nick and I couldn't understand their relationship.

When I was reading this book I felt like the author had all the pieces of a really good story but they were not well assembled.

**ARC provided by InkSlinger PR**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes | Kobo |


0 comments :

Post a Comment