in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, October 13, 2017

ARC Review: Wicked Grind by J. Kenner


I am not new to J. Kenner books. I read all of the Stark series and I was interested to see what these sort of spin off novels would be like. Unfortunately, I was not impressed. J. Kenner is a good writer and this book is no exception to that general rule but...it just didn't do it for me. The book is good but definitely not great and it's not something I would want to read again.

Wicked Grind is a second chance romance. I have a general bias against second chance romance but lately I've been having really good luck with second chance books so I gave this one a....chance. Wyatt is a photographer who is working on a master piece of erotic art. 27 days before the biggest deadline of his career, Wyatt has not found the model he needs to complete his work. That's when Kelsey wanders into his studio looking for a job. Kelsey is exactly what Wyatt has been looking for but Kelsey and Wyatt are not strangers. Kelsey broke Wyatt's heart many years ago but nothing about that situation is what Wyatt assumes.

Kelsey is repeatedly referred to as shy and innocent but that is not at all descriptive when it comes to her.  The book goes through a number of flashbacks between the past and present. During the flashbacks we learn about the bad things that happened to Kelsey that turned her into a runner. That's all good and well. The problem is that the vast majority of the book occurs during the flashbacks. I'm talking like over 80% of the book is in the past and not the present. I think that's what did me in. I wasn't looking to read a book about adolescents. I thought I was going to be reading a really sexy book about two grown ups and that's just not what happened. The weird thing about this book is that there wasn't a whole lot of development of the present day relationship between these characters. Most of the relationship is described in the past tense. So again, that just wasn't something that I liked.

If you like J. Kenner, you might just go wild for this book on the strength of reputation. For me, this was something I could have probably done without.

**ARC provided by Author**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes |


0 comments :

Post a Comment