in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, July 25, 2013

ARC Review: Archer by Debra Kayn


I really thought that I was going to love this book. The cover is super hot and the blurb sounded amazing. Plus, I am a huge fan of the best friend's little sister to lover trope! But unfortunately this book was not everything that I was expecting and there were parts that just didn't work for me. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. For me this one was ok, but not a keeper.

Jane has always had a thing for her brother Garrett's friend Kage. When she was 17, she tried to kiss him but was rejected because he was 21. Only she doesn't know that their age difference was the only reason Kage turned her away. Years later she is living away from Garrett and his friends and she has found herself in a bad situation. Scott, the guy she met and thought she fell in love with in college, has turned out to be a drug dealer that abuses her constantly. She plots her escape and returns home. But Scott isn't about to let her just leave him, taking with her a lot of his money and the knowledge of his illegal business dealings. As Garrett and Kage, along with their friends try to protect Jane and ensure that Scott can never come after her again, the feelings and attraction between Kage and Jane begin to resurface, and this time neither one of them can fight it.

I liked Kage. I really respected the fact that he wanted to be a better man for Jane. Choosing a life that didn't follow his family and avoiding a life of crime while trying to be a better man. I loved how protective he was of Jane and how he was willing to sacrifice himself for her and the love he had always felt for her. Jane I had some problems with. One minute I liked and admired her and the next minute I found her to be annoying and extremely immature. I liked that she wanted to protect the guys and not get anyone hurt because of Scott, but some of the things she did were really stupid and I just couldn't get past some of them. I wanted to like her more but just wasn't able to.

I really felt like Jane and her actions were a huge part of what I didn't like about this book. I also felt like the resolution of the Scott situation could have used a little more detail. For him being such a huge threat and being so bad at the start, the way he was taken care of really seemed almost like a let down for me. It was over extremely quickly. I also didn't really understand why Jane's cat Bluff was constantly brought up or all of a sudden a huge part of a scene. It seemed as if the author would just randomly insert the cat into situations that honestly didn't make any sense. There were times that it as understandable and even added to the story and how Scott would use anything to get to Jane, but for the most part I just didn't get the fascination with the pet.

Overall this book was alright. It wasn't unforgettable by any means, but it was for the most part enjoyable. I am interested to see where Kayn takes the rest of the series and the characters. I will probably give the next book a shot to see what she does and then decide if I will continue the series after that. I think there is a lot of promise for the future of this series, and the premise for the next book Weston sounds very interesting. Weston is Tony's story, and even though I was hoping for Garrett's story next, I am interested to see more of Tony as well. If you like suspense with your romance, this might be one you would enjoy.

**ARC provided by NetGalley**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository |



0 comments :

Post a Comment