in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, August 16, 2013

ARC Review: Just Desserts by Marquita Valentine


Just Desserts is the third book in Marquita Valentine's Holland Springs Series. Even though I hadn't read the first two books in the series I wanted to read this one after seeing the cover and reading the blurb and I was hoping that it wasn't necessary to understand this one. I probably would have known a few of the secondary characters better if I had read them, but I found that I wasn't lost at all and had no problems getting into the story.

Sebastian Romanov a billionaire and Earl wants to get his title of President of Romanov Industries back. In order to get the board to reinstate him he needs to clean up his act and make them think that he has turned over a new leaf. When his cousin asks him to go to Holland Springs to bring his girlfriend to England, he views it as the perfect excuse to try and set things right with his estranged twin brother. He stops into the Sweet Spot owned by Daisy Barnes, but he never expects that his attempt to satisfy his sweet tooth will change his life forever. At first glance Daisy is the answer to all of his problems. He asks her to pretend to be his fiance for a few months in order to help his case with the board of him having changed. After all they are almost family as his twin brother Christian is about to marry her cousin Zoe. As Sebastian and Daisy begin to spend more time together, the relationship begins to blur and what was supposed to be fake starts to transform into something real.

For me this story was enjoyable. The characters were likable and their relationship seemed real to me. Even though the time spent together seemed quite short for a relationship to develop, I never once questioned the feelings either of them felt for the other. I liked that Sebastian was protective of not only Daisy but his family as well, often times going above and beyond to take the fall for something that others had done. But his character was a little inconsistent to me. There were several times that he would claim that he wasn't good enough for Daisy and he would try to run away from her, only to turn around and do something that would bring him closer to her. Then it would revert back again, and this continued right up until the end of the book. I just wish that he wouldn't have been quite so wishy-washy as far as their relationship went. Daisy was fun and I loved that she would joke and banter with him, and call him on his BS when needed. There were some times that I would get frustrated and annoyed with her though for allowing him to act the way he did or get away with certain things. I also don't understand her actions regarding Sebastian's ex Kate.

Overall this story was quick to read and I found it enjoyable. Despite the inconsistencies, I was drawn into the developing relationship between Sebastian and Daisy. The attraction and chemistry between them was enough to get me past the few gripes I had with the story. I was hoping that Sebastian would really turn his life around and man up to make the right decisions and in the end I wasn't disappointed. Having read this without reading the first books, I am definitely interested in going back and starting at the beginning. I will be adding them to my TBR list, and I hope that they might give me a little more insight into some of the characters and their actions. If you like sweet and quick contemporary romances, I think this is a book you would most likely enjoy.

**ARC provided by Tasty Book Tours**

Purchase: | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Smashwords |



0 comments :

Post a Comment