in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, August 17, 2013

ARC Review: Losing Control by Nina Croft


I'll be the first that I am a sucker for the friends to lovers trope. I just can't help myself when it comes to stories that have friendship as the basis for the relationship. I was really looking forward to Losing Control by Nina Croft because not only was it a friends to lovers story, but it was the opposite of most. In Losing Control the guy is actually the one who has been pining away for the girl and is ready to commit. I was really interested to see how that played out, and I had a good time reading Jake and Kim's story.

After an abusive marriage, Kim has taken back control of her life. Vowing to never let anyone else try to dictate anything about her life she sets out to advance her career as a bodyguard. Only problem is that she works for her best friend Jake, and he refuses to promote her or assign her any case that are possibly dangerous. She begins to think that maybe she needs to have a no-strings-attached affair to loosen her up and decides that the new guy at work Steve is just the man for the job. However Jake has other ideas for her. Jake has been in love with her for awhile but refuses to tell her, thinking that she will run away. After a passionate hook-up, Jake sets out to convince Kim that they can have a future together as more than just friends. But after being hurt in the past Kim is reluctant to have anything serious with anyone she cares for, and she is scared to lose her best friend Jake. But once they have been together, all they can both think about is being with the other person. Can Kim give up some of her control and let Jake in or will she continue to keep him at arms length to avoid the possibility of being hurt?

I really liked Jake. I was interested in this story first and foremost because of him. Any man who can admit he loves a girl, wants to commit to her and her alone, and continues to fight for her despite being turned down is always a hero I will root for. He was patient and kind and knew when to push Kim and when to give her some space. I really thought that he was sweet and charming. Kim was stubborn and strong all at the same time. I found myself slightly annoyed with her over the course of the book because of her being so stubborn. There were times that she seemed to do the exact same thing over and over and it just seemed to me that she was a little immature. She definitely had some growing up to do and it was nice to see that she did eventually see that she had been running and needed to take a risk in order to grow. I couldn't understand why she would constantly run and think she wasn't a good match for Jake when it was clear to see that they already had such a great foundation and friendship. Their connection was realistic to me and I thought that they were really sexy together.

Overall, this was a quick, fun, and sexy read. Despite the few times that I had some problems with Kim's character, I really felt that Kim and Jake belonged together. Their relationship was very believable and I was glad that they got their HEA. It was nice to read a friends to lovers story with a twist on the same old trope! This is a book that I think most fans of contemporary romances will enjoy. I am looking forward to reading more in Brazen's new Babysitting a Billionaire series, and I will be looking for more stories from Nina Croft in the future.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |



0 comments :

Post a Comment