in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, March 10, 2014

ARC Review: The Hookup List by Dakota Madison


This book was a quick and easy read that was fun enough to entertain me for a few hours. I found this one enjoyable and sweet and I think that a lot of New Adult fans will like this one. For me, it was a good read but it didn't really grab my attention. I found myself easily putting it down and returning when I had time rather than not being able to stop reading. I liked it, but there were a few things that kept it from being one that I loved. I did enjoy the characters and the premise of the story, but I felt like the book didn't really live up to its name and I think that was part of the problem for me.

After a rough breakup Christopher heads to Arizona from California to begin school. In his first day of Shakespeare class he meets Ana. There is an instant connection and attraction between them, but he quickly finds out that she has a boyfriend back home in New Jersey. As they get to know each other better, both are more drawn to each other and find it harder to stay platonic. Ana knows that she needs to speak with her boyfriend Paulo in person before anything can happen with Christopher. When Paulo visits over fall break, they both agree that they shouldn't see each other anymore and decide to remain friends. Christopher and Ana are finally able to act on their feelings for one another, and are soon in a relationship. But when Chris's past suddenly reappears, their future is threatened before they have barely had a chance at being together. Can they make it through everything that is thrown their way?

I liked Christopher. He was sweet and romantic, and I liked that he was a bit of a nerd. He was always quoting Shakespeare and laying his heart out there without a second thought. I liked how committed he was to Ana, and he respected her enough to wait until she could really be his. He was patient and was just a really good guy. Ana was great as well. I liked that she was not willing to pursue anything with Chris until she made things right with Paulo. I had a lot of respect for the two of them as they waited despite their feelings. I also liked that she was so determined to do well in school and pursue a career in medicine. She was really smart and dedicated. I thought that Christopher and Ana had a great connection and worked really well together. They had a lot of chemistry and you could really feel their attraction to one another.

I did however think that this book was a bit too insta-love for my taste. It felt pretty rushed and I thought that they were saying those all important words a bit too quickly. Christopher had a history of doing that in relationships and then later seeing that it wasn't love after all, and I think in the back of my mind I kept wondering if him and Ana would end up the same way. Since everything was so rushed it was harder to believe that they would be able to make it through everything when things had happened so fast for them and at such a young age. Because they were just starting college and were eighteen it was hard for me to really get behind everything when they started talking about forever so quickly. Overall, this was a quick and cute read. I found it enjoyable and entertaining, but this isn't one of those stories that will stick with me. I think that if you are looking for a New Adult read to lose yourself in for a few hours that you might want to give this one a shot, as I think there are a lot of people who will like this story.

**ARC provided by Itching For Books**

Purchase:Amazon | Kindle | B&N | The Book Depository |




0 comments :

Post a Comment