in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Review: Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken


This book took me by complete surprise. I will admit that I just read the blurb and saw the cover before reading this story. Not having read any reviews for it, I didn't have a clue what I was in for. But having read Rachel Van Dyken's books before, I knew that it would be good. I am so glad that I went into this one blind though as I think it really allowed me to get lost in the story and take things as they came. This book was emotional and way more deep than I had been expecting. It was sad and heartbreaking at times and yet it was beautiful and full of hope. This is one of the best reads I have experienced in awhile and I highly recommend giving this one a shot.

Kiersten is just starting college and for the first time in two years is away from home and the protective care of her uncle. She meets Wes while getting her schedule and new student information and they are instantly drawn to one another. Kiersten then discovers that Wes is actually her RA as well and the two begin a sort of friendship. Wes knows that he should stay away from her, but he finds himself unable to and they agree to just be friends. Wes sees that Kiersten has some damage from her past, and sets out to help her live a little. As the two start completing items on Kiersten's list of ways to live, Wes and Kiersten find themselves feeling way more than attraction between them. The more their feelings grow the harder it is for them to fight the connection, and they decide to give a relationship a chance. But with Kiersten still not over her past and Wes struggling with issues as well, do they stand a chance?

I loved Wes. I have a thing for reformed bad boys or boys that have a reputation. Wes was nothing like what others said about him though, and he was just such a great guy. He had such a great attitude about life, and I loved how he was always helping others to see things in a different way. He was so great with Kiersten, patient and kind and he was always encouraging her. He was really sweet and you couldn't help but fall for him. Kiersten was funny and sweet, and I loved how great of a friend she was. After everything that she had been through, she was a little bit shy and afraid but with the help of Lisa, Gabe and Wes she really started to recover. I liked watching as she put herself out there and started to heal and grow. I thought it was great how she made Wes work for it with her though. She didn't just immediately fall into bed with him, but she made him really see that there was more to them than just a physical attraction. I think that their relationship seemed so much more real to me because they took that part of their relationship slowly. Honestly there was enough attraction and chemistry between them that I didn't miss the steamy scenes at all. These two were made for each other, and it really showed. I loved how sweet they were with each other.

Overall, this was a fantastic read. It is truly hard to explain why I loved this book so much without spoiling the story, and trust me this one is worth reading without knowing what will happen. This story is beautiful and I fell in love with the characters right from the start. All of the characters in this book had their place, and they all made this story work. I cannot imagine it any differently, and I loved not only Wes and Kiersten but the secondary characters as well. I really look forward to getting to know Gabe better. He was such a great friend to both Kiersten and Wes. This book is an absolute must read. I think that absolutely everyone who is a fan of any type of romance should read this book. There is something for everyone in this story, and I think that everyone can find something to relate to. Rachel Van Dyken has always been an author that I enjoyed before, but with Ruin she definitely has become a favorite. I look forward to reading more from her in the future, and if you haven't read anything by her yet I recommend that you start with Ruin.

Purchase:Amazon | Kindle | B&N | The Book Depository |




0 comments :

Post a Comment