in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Review: Debt Inheritance by Pepper Winters


I honestly don't even know how to start with this review. Debt Inheritance is the first book in the Indebted Series by Pepper Winters. This book totally messed with my mind, and left me with about a thousand questions. I absolutely had no idea what I was truly getting into with this book, but I knew I had to read it after reading the blurb. I am really curious to where this series is going, and know that this one will likely be hard to get through at times even though it is interesting. This one definitely delivered with the dark and mysterious though, and I am on this ride now good or bad.

Nila Weaver is a big name in the fashion industry and after a big show, her father introduces her to Jethro Hawk and suggests that she go with him. Nila has never been allowed to be alone with a man besides her brother or father, and is immediately curious as to what is going on. She soon finds out that her family is indebted to the Hawk family and has been for over 600 years. Each first born Weaver daughter is given the the first born Hawk son, as payment for a wrong committed by their families years before. Though Nila has no idea what it means for her future, she quickly finds out that all that awaits her are payments for a past she knew nothing about.

Jethro is pretty much a mystery throughout this book. He is dark and dominating, and doesn't tolerate any kind of disobedience. He is one of those characters that you love to hate. He was mean and completely alpha, offering no tolerance or explanations for the situation that they found themselves in. I wanted Jethro to explain a bit more before growing so frustrated with Nila. It wasn't like she had any clue what was going on or how drastically her life was about to change. I felt like he should have at least been able to clue her in on some of it ahead of time. I am curious to dig deeper into his character though. He has a few moments in this book that you can see the smallest of cracks in his tough exterior. I am interested to see what lies beneath and if this is who he truly is or if there is more to the story as I assume there is. Nila was strong and feisty, and I liked that she didn't just give in. I hope that she maintains that strength as the series goes forward. She needs to hold onto what is really important as she has more to face in the future. I did find it a bit hard to get behind her feelings though. One minute she is disgusted be the situation she is in and is completely outraged, and the next she finds herself wanting and needing Jethro. I can understand attraction doesn't always make sense, but the way he treated her in this book would have made it next to impossible for me to see beyond his actions. I am hoping that as this series continues that we will get to see more interaction and banter between these two though as I really think there is definitely something simmering between them that I find fascinating. 

Overall, I found this story very interesting and as dark as it was I enjoyed it a lot. I am left with tons of questions that I can't wait to start getting answers to, and I am definitely anxious to read the next one. I will say that at times this story was slow and that I am hoping as the series continues on that things don't become drawn out. With so many books already in the works for this series, I think it runs a fine line between building a world and giving details, and becoming monotonous. I want to dig beneath the surface of these characters, and learn more of the history without getting lost in the back and forth that becomes irritating. I think if Pepper Winters can manage to keep things new and fresh with each book, that this could shape up to be a fantastic series. I am looking forward to the next book, and am interested to see how things play out from here.

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | Book Depository |





1 comments :

  1. Great review, Casey!

    I'm a big fan of Pepper Winters, and I have this sitting on my Kindle waiting to be read, once I've finished the one I'm on now. Her stories are definitely dark, but always addictive - and I do have a soft spot for her love-to-hate male leads!

    I'm even more excited to read it, now!

    ReplyDelete