in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Review: Sloth by Ella James


Sloth by Ella James is one of those books that I have been wanting to read for quite awhile, yet for one reason or another I just hadn't got around to it. I had it sitting on my kindle for months, but it wasn't until my friend told me I had to read it so she could talk to someone that I did. While I read this book, I experienced so many different emotions and I bugged my friend for answers constantly. She wouldn't give me anything though and just told me to keep reading, and I am really glad she did that. This book was an experience, and I really believe that it is best to go in blind. 

Normally in my reviews I give a brief synopsis and go into a bit of detail on the story itself. I really feel as though I cannot do that here though, because the smallest thing could spoil everything. So if you want to know more about this book, read the blurb and go from there. I do think that this book is best when read blind though, so it is my recommendation that you go into this one avoiding any and all spoilers. This book won't be for everyone and there are a few times that I will admit I wanted to give up. But it was definitely worth the read and once I got to the end pretty much everything made sense. The one thing that I will say is that I spent the majority of this book confused. There were times that I had absolutely no idea what was going on, and I really thought that it might not be worth continuing. But I was wrong and I am glad that I stuck with it. 

I had times where each of these characters frustrated me and I didn't understand them or their motivation. That being said I really loved them! Their connection was so strong and captivating and I could not put this book down. I couldn't get enough of them, and I had to get answers. With each new piece of the puzzle revealed, there were several more questions as well. But I just had to know what would happen and how everything would all come together in the end. My emotions were all over the place here, and I felt invested in the outcome. Ella James did a great job of sucking me in and making me feel here. I didn't always enjoy it as I was frustrated and upset, and yet I can't deny that I loved every bit of that. It was so raw and real and was truly an experience unlike I have ever had with a book before. 

The biggest criticism I have here is that I believe that with some changes, this book could have been truly epic. The story and all the elements were there, and yet there were a few things that just didn't work for me. While I was confused most of the time and figured most of it out at the end, there were a few things that were left unresolved or simply not dealt with. Ella James does have a group on facebook that you can join with a post containing FAQs and answers for those that were like me and still wondering about some things, and while that provided the answers I was seeking I felt like that was a bit of bs. I think that so many more readers would love this book had all of that information been included in the story itself. I understand that this book is very long as it is, but by cutting out some of that pertinent information, the story ended up suffering. This very easily could have been a longer book or even two books as I really feel like the extra information was needed and the pages warranted. I am sad to see that what could have been a fantastic book was only good because of that. 

This story jumps around between past and present, as well as different POVs and I think at times it was overly confusing. I understand wanting to keep readers on the edge of their seat and not reveal everything right away, but I think that there had to have been a better way here. Not only did we switch between POVs and past/present, but this book was also broken down into three separate parts. It was very hard to keep track of the timeline here, and I found it impossible at times to figure out where and when we were or what was happening. I still really liked the story though, and even with the negatives, I would still recommend this book. I think it is one of those books that almost needs to be read a few times to fully pick up on everything though, especially after going back and seeing how every little detail adds up to what is all really going on. This book is definitely hot though, and the steam between these two is off the charts! If you are looking for a truly original story that will keep you guessing, all while delivering a deep connection and ton of steam, this is the book for you! I honestly can't wait to read more from Ella James and I am definitely looking forward to reading Murder, which is about a character that was introduced here. I am so excited to get his story, and I am looking forward to reading more in this series.

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes | 


0 comments :

Post a Comment