in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

ARC Review: Between Shadows by Chanel Cleeton


I went into Between Shadows knowing that it was Chanel Cleeton's NA Thriller and that there wouldn't be a ton of romance here. While I typically read only romance, the blurb for this one sounded so good that I decided to take the chance here. I have to say that I really enjoyed this book and I am glad that I gave it a chance! There is some romance here, but this is definitely more new adult suspense/thriller than it is a romance and readers should take that into consideration before starting. I think this one is definitely worth the read though and I can't wait for more!

X lives her life following strict rules that have been ingrained into her since she arrived at the academy. Her life before is nothing but dreams and brief memories that she can barely remember, the academy has since given her everything that she has needed. They train operatives such as X in their areas of expertise and then send them out into the world on missions based on those strengths. Though the academy has told them they are dispensing justice, the kills weigh on X and she wonders if she is doing the right thing by following their orders. But when someone from her past returns, everything X knows is about to change. Has she been fighting for the right side all along, or is everything she thought she knew a lie? As X tries to piece together the truth, the only thing she knows for sure is that she will need every skill they taught her if she is going to stay alive. 

I really liked X. She was strong and good, even with what she was doing. I loved her loyalty to her sister and the bond she had with her. She would do whatever it took to protect her and shield her as much as possible, even if that meant putting herself in danger. Luke was great also! He starts off as a complete mystery and we have no idea what is going on with him. I wanted so badly to trust him, and yet I understood why X struggled with that. But the more that was revealed the more I really liked him and I was glad that we got to see the history between these two. They definitely had a connection and chemistry, but they also had so much that made it hard for them to trust though they each clearly wanted to. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I couldn't put it down. I had to know what was going on and who was who, and Chanel Cleeton kept me guessing the whole way through. Between Shadows is said to be an Assassins novel, which leads me to believe their will be more to this series. While the ending here was satisfying, if a bit abrupt, there is still much more than can be explored here. I liked that things were mostly resolved, yet still left open. Having no information though, I do not know whether any following books will still focus on these characters or if the focus will shift to new ones. I would love to get more on X and Luke as well as X's sister Grace, but I am also really curious about some of the characters we met along the way here too. I am definitely hoping for more in this world though, and I thoroughly enjoyed Between Shadows. I highly recommend this one if you are a new adult or suspense fan, and I can't wait for more from Chanel Cleeton.

**ARC Provided by Author**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes





0 comments :

Post a Comment