in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Audiobook Review: Of Silk and Steam by Bec McMaster, Narrated by Alison Larkin


I heard so many great reviews about “Of Silk and Steam” by Bec MacMaster that I wanted to find out for myself how her stories were. Although this is the fifth book in this steampunk series and I had not read or heard any of the previous stories in the series, I really enjoyed it. McMaster had me hooked from the first line and even though it is a lengthy story I was never bored. I always wanted to know what would happen next and how the story would unfold.

The story had me hooked by the heroine- Lady Armina or Mina as she is known- being a kickass. She is a complete alpha woman! I was so impressed with her that she completely made me enjoy this story. Her rival is Leo Barrons. They have had a very antagonistic relationship for years. They were on opposite sides and Mina swore to kill Leo out of vengeance. Leo is a perfect match for Mina. He loves making her angry and endearingly calls her “Duchess” to make her angry at him. Aside from the sexual tension between them, Leo and Mina are on opposites sides of the Ivory Tower in London. There is a big secret that Leo has been carrying for years and inadvertently Mina exposes his big secret.

Mina is the right hand woman of the Queen. Although there are blue bloods and other such creatures that are half human and half machine, the Queen is entirely human. She sits on the thrown of the tower with the awful prince consort. As the prince consort tries to fend off rebellions in his kingdom Mina and Leo have to figure out if they can trust each other enough to over thrown him.

Aside from the tension between Mina and Leo is the tension of the rookeries and the rebels in Echelon. I have to confess that there were parts I was lost and the author named characters from the previous books. I would highly recommend hearing or reading the previous books in the series since the plots are a lead up to what finally happens in “Of Silk and Steam.” Nonetheless I was glued and riveted by the story.

A huge part of this enjoyable factor for me was Alison Larkin. I’ve reviewed books by her before and she is a great narrator. She knows when to draw a reader in with her character impersonations and when to step back and take the place of a narrator. I really enjoyed and recommend this audiobook and plan to read or hear the previous ones in the series.

**Audiobook Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Audiobook | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes |


0 comments :

Post a Comment