in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, October 31, 2016

ARC Review: Kept by Maya Banks


I have read several Maya Banks books and I gotta say, they all suffer from similar issues: repetition and stupid heroines.  I had high hopes that this one would be different but OMG, Hayley is like the queen of all stupid heroines.  Don’t get me wrong, I love a Cinderella story about a damsel in distress who needs rescuing.  Hayley was certainly that. But there are limits to what my imagination can entertain without sputtering to a stop.  My limits are the bounds between a damsel in distress and one who is horribly and utterly desolate.  Hayley is the latter.  She has no family, no friends, no money, she’s a victim of an assault…at one point she is literally walking in the freezing rain just so down on her luck she feels like all hope is lost.  I was like man, this is the most depressing heroine ever.

And then there is the portion of the book that involves the rescue of the damsel.  That went all left.  Silas does rescue Hayley from financial ruin but but but….there was just something missing between the couple.  At some point, the book turns into one cliché after another.  The strong silent alpha, pushes the weak girl away.  The strong silent alpha is jealous and dominant.  The strong silent alpha communicates via growls. Etc. etc.
And the whole time, Hayley is just there, not really adding anything to the story.  Honestly, I got all the way to the end of the book and I couldn’t tell you why these two were together.  I’m not sure they even really knew one another.  And if Hayley did know Silas, her attraction to him really did not make sense because he was being a jerk most of the book.

The sex in Maya Banks books is always really hot but honestly, that just wasn’t enough to save the day. When the sex is couched in between a bunch of really really stupid nicknames (i.e. princess and angel every other line) and genre clichés, it just becomes too much too stomach.  I didn’t like Hayley or Silas and I didn’t particularly care if they found a HEA. I have not read any of the other books in the series.  Maybe if I had, I would have known Silas from other books and this one would have been easier to get into.  I guess we will never know.  What I do know is that I can’t honestly recommend that you read this book.  It just wasn’t good.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes | Kobo |


1 comments :

  1. Oh man, what a disappointment. I have very mixed feelings about this series & wasn't sure what to expect from Silas' story...might have to sit this one out...

    ReplyDelete