in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, June 30, 2018

ARC Review: If Ever I Should Love You by Cathy Maxwell


Cathy Maxwell's If Ever I Should Love You is the first in her new Spinster Heiresses series. While the story wasn't Maxwell's best, it was still a good read. There was only one thing missing that I couldn't put my finger on until the very end.

Leonie is one of three ladies out in society that has been named a Spinster Heiress. This is mainly because she is an heiress, but she has remained unattached for some time. She has no desire to be married, but she goes through the motions because her parents are pushing it.

Roman, the Earl of Rochdale, just recently inherited the title as well as a mountain of debt. He finds he must marry to pay off these debts. He is excited for this new Earldom to be a fresh start. He once had dreams that came crashing down in the military

When the Earl learns that Leonie is one of the Spinster Heiresses, he becomes determined that she helps him since she was a part of the reason his military dreams died. The history between Leonie and Roman is a huge hurdle for the two to come to terms with. It forces them to face whether or not they can trust each other, and that really makes or breaks a relationship.

I will say this is the first time I questioned the outcome of a romance. I always expect the couple to figure it out together, but I was unsure if these two could find their way to each other. The one thing I missed from this book was that there wasn't any secrets to learn. Almost everything was put out there in the beginning of the book, and it left me bored for the rest.

The content of this book was harsher material than most historical romances, and I really think that Cathy Maxwell handled it beautifully. But possibly because of that focus, she lost me in the overall story. I am still glad I read it, however.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iBooks |


0 comments :

Post a Comment