in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, April 12, 2015

ARC Review: Hard To Be Good by Laura Kaye


Hard to be Good is a M/M novella in the Hard Ink series by Laura Kaye. Though this is a part of the series, it can be read as a standalone story. I was really excited for Jeremy and Charlie's story, as I loved both of their characters. Jeremy Rixey is the owner of Hard Ink Tattoo and is the brother of Nick Rixey. Nick's special forces team was almost killed a year before, and they have been trying to get to the bottom of what happened ever since. Charlie Merritt was kidnapped and got drawn into the team's investigation. He instantly had a connection with Jeremy and they have formed a friendship. But besides that friendship, they have both been feeling more and have been scared to make a move. But after Jeremy nearly gets killed, they both realize that it is time to see what the connection between them could be if they gave it a chance. 

Jeremy has always been one of my favorites from this series. He is fun and flirty and he is comfortable with who he is. He is bisexual and loved based on the person rather than their sex. But he also had a ton of stuff beneath the surface, and he really connected with Charlie. They understood each other in a way that no one else did, and Charlie really saw all that Jeremy was. He was able to reach him in a way that even Jeremy's siblings Nick and Kat couldn't. Charlie had always been a bit awkward, preferring to spend his time with computers rather than people. He had also been afraid to be himself because of what his father put him through. While he was out, he was also scared of what others would think of him and I really hated that his father had made him that way. But Jeremy was exactly what he needed, and I loved that he got Charlie to finally make a move and step a bit outside his comfort zone. These two were great for one another and had such a strong connection and friendship. I enjoyed seeing them take that to the next level and explore the attraction between them as well. 

While I really liked both of these characters, I will say that this was extremely short. I found myself wanting more as their relationship seemed a bit rushed. They had a great friendship and foundation for more, but it happened really quickly. I wanted to see more of these two together, and I really thought that they deserved more of a story. I guess that is just me being greedy, but I really loved both of these guys and wanted to see more of them. I think that this was a great addition to the series though, and I liked seeing both of these guys acknowledge and accept what was between them. They both deserved to be happy, and I was glad that they had found each other. I think that this series is a great one if you like romantic suspense, and this installment was a great addition to that. I look forward to reading more from Laura Kaye and to seeing more of these characters as the series continues.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | Book Depository | iTunes |





3 comments :

  1. Thanks for the great review! I have never read a m/m story, but this sound good. I love the cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won a copy from Goodreads and am looking forward to receiving it since I enjoyed the rest of the books in Kaye's series. I've been noticing this trend with successful m/f series dipping their toes into the m/m pool and tacking on a m/m novella. I say man up publishers and give the m/m characters their own full length book. I think it's been proven there's a market out there. Even J.R. Ward's m/m book (Qhuinn and I forget the other guy) was shorter than the rest and then only half focused on the m/m story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this series on the plan to read list at some point. Glad this latest release was good. Too bad it was so short.

    ReplyDelete