in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

ARC Review: Breaking Her Rules by Jennifer Snow


I had high hopes for this book when I started out and while I’m not entirely disappointed, it didn’t quite make it into the shining star hall of fame as I thought it would.

When the book begins Gracie is a strong career woman and Walker is the down on his luck hero struggling to make it in the MMA world. The reason I really got into the book at first is because it’s well written, the dialogue was entertaining and I felt a good connection between Gracie and Walker. Where things went wrong is when Gracie just refused to get any good damn sense about her boyfriend. Yeah, Gracie had a boyfriend when the book began and it was clear that he was not “the one.” And when I say clear, I mean it was clear to me but completely incomprehensible to Gracie. At first I liked that Gracie was secure in her relationship and understanding of her boyfriend’s busy schedule. But eventually, it just became a series of “oh c’mon, really?” And I was over it but the relationship wasn’t over. Honestly around the 50% point of the book I was completely frustrated with Gracie and her boyfriend.

I know I know, you are probably wondering what happened to Walker. To be honest, Walker just didn’t give me anything. From the beginning I was thrown off because the author said Walker dropped out of law school after 3 years but law school is only three years so….that made no sense. Also, Walker was the got it all guy who drops everything to become an MMA fighter when law school should have been done (because it’s ONLY 3 years people) and I still to this day don’t know why. I just don’t understand how Walker randomly woke up one day and decided, eff the court room, what I really want is to get in the ring and kick a-s??? By the time the book was over, I just didn’t have a real good sense of who Walker was. Because Gracie was trampling on my last good nerve for her part, I started not to care about the relationship between the two main characters.

Lastly, I’m willing to work with an author when there isn’t enough sex. If a storyline is really really good, I can survive pages and pages of steamless reading. What I can’t do is abide one character who borders on being boring and another who is annoying and also get no sex. NO, now you’re just asking too much. This author asked WAY too much because I was over half way through with the book and there was no exchanging of bodily fluids. I just…I can’t live like that.

Well written, definitely some good parts, light on the sex and I’m giving it a read at your own risk recommendation.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes |


0 comments :

Post a Comment