in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, October 30, 2015

ARC Review: The Wrath of Cain by Kathy Coopmans


The Wrath of Cain is my first book by Kathy Coopmans, but it definitely won't be my last! I really enjoyed this book and I was drawn in right away. Though there were a few things that I had some issues with, I thought that this was a great first installment in her new Syndicate series. Though this book is the first in the series, it can be read as a standalone. I am really looking forward to seeing where this series goes after reading this book! 

With their families being long time enemies, Cain and Calla eloped at eighteen. But what should have been the best day of their lives and the start of a life together, quickly became worse than Calla could imagine when she found Cain with another woman ton their wedding night. Heartbroken and needing to escape, Calla moved to Canada to pursue her dream of becoming a lawyer. But now six years later she returns home to finally move forward with her life, starting with getting a divorce from her husband. But the man she finds is no longer the man she married, and Cain is willing to do whatever it takes to protect Calla and keep her by his side. Cain was given minutes to wreck his marriage in order to protect his wife, and there is no way that he will sign the papers and let her go again. But when Calla finds out the truth about everything that happened, she gets more than she bargained for when she also learns that nothing in her life is as it seems. Can she forgive those that she trusted for making choices that changed her life forever, or will there be too much damage done to make their way back from?

I will admit that I struggled a bit with each of these characters a few times in this story. With Calla and Cain not seeing each other in six years, they were both with other people during their separation. Though it didn't make me happy I did understand it, especially with Cain's lifestyle being that of a MC Club president. What I didn't care for was that while he was super protective of Calla and was all alpha, he was also a real jerk at times to her. I love an alpha as much as the next girl, but I need for them to be commanding without being awful about it. I hated how he went about pushing her away too, and I think that he could have easily done it in another way without actually having sex with someone else. Calla was a bit all over the place here, and that was a problem for me. Though I liked her at times and wanted her to be with Cain despite everything they had been through, I felt like her character was almost a bit bi-polar. She would go from crying one second to raging and making threats the next. It just didn't work for me that she would go from one extreme to the other so quickly, especially after her entire world had been turned upside down. Though I did have issues with the characters, I never once questioned the connection they had. It was clear that these two loved one another and were supposed to be together, but life had a way of messing that up for them. The chemistry between them was smoking hot, and these two were so steamy together! 

Overall, I did like this book and despite my issues with the characters I couldn't put this book down. I was invested right away, even if I didn't like everything that went down. What I really loved about this book is that it was different. It was an MC story, but there were also Mafia elements as well. I was fascinated with everything that was going on, and with each piece of the puzzle revealed I couldn't wait to get even more. Though things were revealed fairly early on to Calla about the past and what was going on, I wasn't bored and I felt like Kathy Coopmans did a great job of giving us just enough to keep the reader turning pages. I liked that she had been clued in on a lot earlier on because that gave us a chance to really see how things would play out without constantly wondering when the meltdown and big reveal would happen. There was so much more to explore about the MC and the Mafia, and it just got more interesting the more that the reader and Calla found out. I would recommend this book if you are a fan of MC stories and you are looking for something different. This one had plenty of suspense and super sexy moments to keep me reading without wanting to put this one down. I am looking forward to the next book in this series and am anxious to see where Kathy Coopmans takes things from here.

**ARC Provided by TRSOR Promotions**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes





0 comments :

Post a Comment