in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

ARC Review: Downtown Devil by Cara McKenna


Downtown Devil is the second book in the Sins in the City trilogy by Cara McKenna. Each book is a standalone menage story. If menage stories are not your thing or bother you, this series is one you will want to skip. I have to say though that if you are looking for some seriously hot books, these have a ton of heat! There were things that I both liked and disliked with the first book in this series, Crosstown Crush, but I have to say that I ended up enjoying Downtown Devil more than I had CC. I am really looking forward to seeing what Cara McKenna has in store with the next in the series, Midtown Masters. 

Clare is turning thirty and is starting to feel restless with her life. She works at a call center while trying to pursue her passion for photography. When finally getting a break, Clare must find subjects to model for cohesive collection in order to show at a local gallery. When she meets Mica at the local coffee shop, she approaches him to see if he would be interested in being one of her models. But what starts as getting a few shots for her collection quickly turns to more when they spend a steamy night together. The more time they spend together, the more Clare begins to wonder what the future could possibly be for them. But when things start to change with Clare, Mica and his best friend Vaughn, Clare finds herself in a situation she never expected. 

I really liked these characters. I liked Clare's passion for photography and how she took something that could have offended her and turned into something beautiful. Showcasing the differences between people and their ethnicities was something that she celebrated and I loved that! I also loved that when presented with the opportunity to explore her desires and step outside her comfort zone, she welcomed it even while being a bit nervous. It was great to see a heroine embrace that and not be judged for it. I liked Mica and he was beyond sexy and charming. He also frustrated me at times, but over the course of the story it was easy to see that his past affected him greatly. I loved Vaughn though right from the second he was introduced. He was sexy as well as sweet, and I loved how he was with Clare right away. The three of them together were so smoking hot, but I knew that in the long term there was no way that they could all be together. I will admit I definitely had my opinions throughout this story about what I wanted to happen, but it was great to see things play out here and I felt that it happened naturally. 

I won't say how things turned out and spoil the story, because this one was so good and I think it needs to just be read. Things progressed in a genuine way here and I really liked the way things happened. There were times that I felt like the sex scenes did take over the story a bit. While we did get some dialogue and character development, I felt like that part of this story did suffer from the amount of sex that was happening. Don't get me wrong, the story was still good, it just didn't have the amount of depth it could have had considering some of the backstory with each Mica and Vaughn. I am looking forward to the next book in the series, and I definitely recommend Downtown Devil as well as Crosstown Crush. This series is different, and I really like that Cara McKenna is exploring some desires that aren't always common, even in erotica books.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes





0 comments :

Post a Comment