in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, November 7, 2013

ARC Review: Definitely, Maybe In Love by Ophelia London


I have loved Pride and Prejudice since the very first time I ever read it. Since then I have gone on to watch the movies and TV series about it as well. So when I heard about Definitely, Maybe In Love by Ophelia London, I knew that I had to read this story since it is P&P with a modern spin. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect when I saw that it was a New Adult story, but I figured it was definitely worth giving a shot. I ending up enjoying this story and I liked both the characters and the new twist on such a classic story. There were a few things that I didn't care for, but all in all this one was a quick fun read that allowed me to experience one of my all time favorites in a brand new way.

Spring Honeycutt is a junior at Stanford and is beginning to write her thesis. She is passionate about sustainability and knows that she wants to make a big difference with her life. When her advisor tells her that she needs to rethink a few points in her research and try to see things from a different perspective she has absolutely no interest in listening to anything the opposition has to say. Until she meets her knew neighbor, Henry Knightly and not only is he gorgeous, but he just so happens to be the perfect person to help her. They immediately get off on the wrong foot, but both of them feel the instant attraction and agree to work together. As they spend more time together, feelings start to develop beyond attraction. But with Spring being so set in her ways, is it possible for her to not only let her guard down, but also be with someone who is so different from everything that she believes in? Will Spring and Henry be able to get everything in order to risk having a chance at true love and a relationship together?

I liked Knightly. He was everything that you love about Darcy and yet he was also more. I loved seeing how he and Spring would challenge each other, and how much he liked her because of it. He was set in his ways, but he would also listen to what she had to say. I love that he had the same confidence bordering on arrogance as Darcy and yet he didn't come off as a jerk. He starts off a bit snobbish towards Spring and goes in with this idea about her having heard gossip about her, and yet he still offers to help her out. He was just such a likable character. I also really enjoyed Spring. She is strong and independent, and isn't afraid of what anyone thinks of her. I loved how much she really threw herself into what she believed in. It was really nice to see such a determined and smart heroine in this book, because that is not always the case with a New Adult book. I loved how Knightly and Spring would verbally spar and banter. It was always interesting watching these two interact and I really enjoyed watching as their relationship progressed throughout the story. There is not a lot of steam in this book, but you can definitely feel the chemistry and attraction between them. I wished that they had acted on a little more of the tension between them and that we would have been able to see more of them together. I think that because some of that was missing, it was harder to believe in their relationship and the love they declared and it just didn't seem as realistic as I would have hoped.

I also thought that even though the characters were likable and interesting, they seemed to be a little more immature than I would have expected for their ages. Some of the things that they did or said just didn't seem to be consistent with the age group and what you would expect for not only upperclassmen in college, but also grad students. I also thought that there were a few things that happened in the story that didn't quite make sense, and weren't really explained. They would be brought up a few times and then dropped. I just wished that we would have been given a better explanation on why some of the characters did a few of these things. Overall though, I really did enjoy this story. It is something new and different for fans of Pride and Prejudice, and there is enough of a twist that although you get parts of the classic story, you feel as though this isn't the same old thing. I recommend this book to anyone who loves Pride and Prejudice as much as I do and also to anyone who loves a good love story that is slow to develop. I really had a good time reading and enjoyed the fact that Knightly and Spring didn't just jump right into a relationship. This story is a sweet one and has a good amount of attraction, but if you are looking for a ton of steam and sexy scenes this is probably not one for you.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |




0 comments :

Post a Comment