in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, August 7, 2015

ARC Review: All Wound Up by Jaci Burton


All Wound Up is the newest book in Jaci Burton's Play by Play series. With each book being about a different couple, they can be read out of order as standalones. The characters are interconnected though, so if you like to read a series in order you should know that this is book ten. I love that Jaci Burton has given us so many different stories in this series, and that they aren't always the same sport. This book features a baseball player, so if you are a fan of baseball romance stories you will want to check this one out for sure. 

When Tucker Cassidy gets kneed in the worst possible place by his very recent ex, the last thing he needs is for anyone to witness it. But when the witness turns out to be a pretty doctor, Tucker can't help but be drawn to her. When he finds himself in her ER twice right after that embarrassing incident, he knows that he needs to get her to let him take her out. But Aubrey Ross isn't just a random pretty doctor, she also happens to be the daughter of the owner of the St. Louis Rivers, the team he pitches for. Tucker repeatedly asks Aubrey to go out, but she turns him down every time saying that she is too busy to date and that it isn't a good idea for them to date anyway. But Tucker isn't willing to give up, and finally convinces her to give them a shot. But Aubrey isn't the only thing standing in their way, and her dad will be harder to convince than she was. 

I liked Tucker a lot. I thought that he was a great guy, and I loved his persistence. He didn't give up on what he wanted, and I liked that he was able to have fun with Aubrey and get her outside her head for once. I thought that he was great for her, and that he was very easy to like. Aubrey on the other hand drove me nuts for most of this story. She was hot and cold, and her wishy washy ways got old rather quickly. One minute she is turning him down, and the next she is mad that Tucker sent her a text rather than called her. She didn't want to go out with him and kept turning him down, but then she was disappointed that he didn't make more of an effort. I thought that these two had chemistry and were great together, but honestly Aubrey got on my nerves and I did begin to wonder why Tucker kept putting up with her crap. Not only that, but then he would always be the one to apologize to her as if he was the one always to blame. She had every bit as much responsibility in the things that went wrong for them, and it really irritated me that she wasn't ever the one to accept any of the blame. 

Beyond the issues I had with Aubrey, I also felt like the conflict in this story was very predictable and was so common in romance stories that it wasn't anything new or different. I was waiting for something about this story to stand out to me, and unfortunately this one was similar to so many other stories that I have read before. While that is all good and fine if you are looking for a run of the mill contemporary sports romance, I wanted something to really make this one unique or memorable and that just never happened. I didn't like how Aubrey reacted to the situation with her father, (again blaming everything on Tucker), and I felt as though she was way too quick to judge when she should have also thought about the situation he was in and given him the benefit of the doubt. Add all that to a rushed ending, and this one was just okay for me. While I have loved books in this series, this one wasn't my favorite. I will also say that things got a bit confusing at times with all the secondary characters here. It was great to see some familiar faces, but at times it got to be too many and too much. It was a little bit like how many names can we drop here, and for those not familiar with the series I would think it would be very confusing and hard to keep track of who was married to who, related to who, and played for which sport/team. It was hard enough for me to keep track and I have read most of the books in the series. While that didn't kill this book for me, I did think that the focus should have been more on Aubrey and Tucker and kept the other characters limited to those necessary to the story rather than just wanting to have as many as possible make an appearance. Tucker's brother Barrett is up next in Unexpected Rush, and it will be interesting to see what happens in his story.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | Book Depository | iTunes





0 comments :

Post a Comment