in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, May 28, 2016

ARC Review: Glass Ceilings by A.M. Madden


I read a lot of really enthusiastic reviews of this book. This is not one of those. For me it was a good, solid read but something was missing for me. I think something about the connetion between the main characters didn't connect for me and it threw off the whole experience.

There is actually a lot that I liked about this book which is why I still gave it a good rating. I liked the danger aspects. I liked that this book included suspense, a crazy ex, the mob, some good supporting characters and a host of other positive things. By way of background, this is the second entry of the True Heroes series. I didn't read the first book so I can't tell you if there are any spoilers but I can tell you that you can read this one as a standalone.

Nick is an undercover FBI agent in Chicago collecting information to close down a major drug operation of the mob. As his investigation nears completion, he meets the elusive Angela. When Nick meets Angela, he is already gone on to his next assignment in New York in his mind. He wasn't anticipating starting something right here in Chicago. Angela is the shy good girl who comes into the bar where Nick is working undercover and instantly grabs his attention. Angela makes it clearly she is not interested in starting a relationship but thanks to Nick and Angela's sidekick/friends, they continuously are thrust together.

The issue for me is that I honestly enjoyed Nick and Angela's friends more than I enjoyed them. There seems to be more chemistry and fun banter between The supporting cast members than there was between the main characters. I found the parts of the story that had supporting characters in it more interesting than the parts that were just Nick and Angela.

Even though Nick doesn't think it's fair to start anything with Angela in light of the fact that he's leaving for New York, it turns out, rather conveniently, that Angela is also headed to New York. We also find out that Angela is avoiding an abusive ex-boyfriend. I like the fact that Nick and Angela gave it a go and that things were complicated and difficult because of issues from the past. I think the complications in the romance were the best part of the book for me. It gave the story layers that it just would not have had if things had been easy.

So all in all this book was entertaining and interesting. The only issue is that the things I really liked did not include the romance which I found kind of tepid.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes |


0 comments :

Post a Comment