in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, May 27, 2016

ARC Review: Rush by Shae Ross


Rush is the third book in the Pretty Smart Girls series from Shae Ross, but each book in the series is a standalone story. I have to admit that I read a previous book in the series and it wasn't my favorite, but the cover for Rush was enough to convince me to give this one a shot! I really loved it and it just instantly drew my attention. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the story itself, and I ended up throwing in the towel at the 30% mark. While I hate to DNF any book, I just couldn't force myself to finish and this one wasn't working for me at all. 

Rush is about Priscilla Winslow and Preston Rush. Priscilla is the captain of the soccer team and Preston is the star quarterback for their school's football team. When the two of them attend the same Halloween party at a local bar, it ends with Preston being involved in a fight. Looking to help him out, Priscilla jumps in and they both end up in jail. But when Priscilla is suspended from the soccer team, Preston and Priscilla must work together to try and get her reinstated. The attraction between them is something neither of them can fight, but with Priscilla hating Preston for everything that has happened can he win her over? Or will both of the futures be destroyed? 

Part of my problem here was that I just didn't connect with the characters. I liked them at first. There was so much promise with the first meeting in the bar and how they were dressed in costume and you could really feel the pull between them. Things were interesting when they were in jail together. But it was after that that this one lost me. Priscilla was angry (and I totally understand that and even sympathize with her) but I just found her impossible to like. I wasn't feeling the connection between her and Preston beyond that first bit and it just felt like they weren't really progressing at all. There wasn't any real depth or development and my interest started to wane. 

Besides just the characters though, I felt like the humor was forced and over the top. It just wasn't funny to me and came off as the author trying too hard. I'm not trying to be rude, but it just didn't feel natural and there was just something off about it to me. Any interest I had left was quickly lost because of it, and I just couldn't bring myself to continue. I think that there are plenty of readers that will enjoy this story, and I encourage any that are interested to give this one a shot. If this sounds like one you might like, you should definitely give it a try. Just because it wasn't working for me doesn't mean that it won't for you. I think maybe I just wasn't connecting with the story or characters or in the right frame of mind to read this one. After a few different books of hers not working for me though, I think maybe her style just isn't one that works for me and this will likely be my last book from her.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes





0 comments :

Post a Comment