As a child, Angela Corbett’s most prized possession was a set of read-along books. She used to follow along with the narrator on the stereo and dream of when she would be able to read by herself. Her childhood reading habit led her to consider her future career. However, after consulting with her parents, she realized she had already exceeded hobbit height and since fairies and dragonslayers were tricky jobs to get, she decided she wanted to create worlds of her own. She started writing poetry in elementary school and worked as a journalist in high school and college, but could never leave her love for writing fiction behind.
She is a graduate of Westminster College where she double majored in communication and sociology. She has worked as a journalist, freelance writer, and director of communications and marketing. She loves classic cars, traveling, and escaping in a good book. She lives in Utah with her incredibly supportive husband and their five-pound Pomeranian, Pippin, whose following of fangirls could rival Justin Bieber's.
Eternal Starling is her debut novel and the first book in the Emblem of Eternity trilogy.
Find Angela at:
My 3 tips for helping you find your writing voice and style:
1. Write! - You won’t know your voice and style until you start writing. I experimented with so many different types of writing until I found the one that “fit.” Writing serious books made me bored—even I didn’t want to read them. Science fiction made me wish I lived in a padded room so I had lots of white walls to write on and keep track of everything. I knew those genres weren’t right for me because I couldn’t make them feel authentic. What fit me best was writing strong female characters in books with humor and romantic elements. I knew I’d found my right fit when the voice and dialogue came easily.
2. Read! - While you’re writing, read! A lot! In a lot of different genres, with different narration and styles. Find the books that you enjoy. Look for voices that speak to you and make you want to keep reading. Then write, and see if your voice is similar. I read a lot of different types of books. Not all of them are in my same voice or genre, but I learn something from each book I read, and try to incorporate what I learn into my own writing.
3. Get an Outside Opinion - Finding your voice and figuring out what genre it fits best in can be difficult. Sometimes it helps to get an outside perspective. My editor was reading my first book, Eternal Starling, a YA paranormal romance. She told me she thought I had a talent for writing humor. All of my books have funny elements and characters, but I didn’t realize that was such a big part of my voice as a writer until my editor pointed it out. Humor is a big part of my voice, and I have a hard time writing without out. Once I realized that, I wanted to spend every spare moment writing. That’s how I knew I was writing the right thing, with the right voice.
“Someone needs to make you come completely undone, Sydney Parker.” His tongue moved slowly over his lips. “That someone is going to be me.”
Goal-oriented Sydney Parker has never had a problem focusing. She’s about to start law school, the first step on her way to the Supreme Court. With no time for relationships, she lives vicariously through her best friend Brynn, who has recently decided to use sex as a research tool. Sydney, however, hasn’t been laid in years. Men are a distraction, one Sydney has diligently avoided…until Jackson West crashes into her life, and under her hood.
The last thing Sydney needs is a hot mechanic working on her ‘69 Camaro. Especially a hot mechanic with eyes like the ocean and lick-me abs, who claims to be better in bed than a werewolf.
Jax thinks that’s exactly what Sydney needs.
But Sydney has goals, and a relationship with the enigmatic Jax would challenge her.
Sydney is about to find out that temptation is very hard to resist.
Purchase: | Amazon | B&N |
Check out what's up for grabs.
- 1 $25 Amazon Gift Card + Tempting Sydney Tote Bag
- Please fill out the Rafflecopter form.
Special thanks to Angela Corbett & Jean Book Nerd for sponsoring this tour-wide giveaway.a Rafflecopter giveaway