in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

ARC Review: Chains by Kelli Maine


I have a thing for MMA fighter heroes, and I just can't help but want to meet them all! So when I had the opportunity to read Chains by Kelli Maine, I couldn't wait to read about Tyler. This book wasn't what I was expecting at all, and while I did like some of it I had some issues with this story. This book was good, but it wasn't one that I loved or couldn't put down.

Tyler is almost ready to go pro as an MMA fighter, but just as he is set to take the next level his past comes crashing back into his life. Years after leaving his foster home and finally getting away, his one regret resurfaces. Tyler said he would go back for Danny, the girl he loved. But when he had his chance to escape, he took it and never looked back. But when Danny reappears, she is anything but the sweet and loving girl he remembers. Danny has been trying to run from her past, and has found drugs to be her only escape. But their abusive foster father will stop at nothing to get Danny back. Tyler and Danny must fight for their future together, and hope that they will both make it out alive and safe.

I found it hard to connect with the characters in this book. While I didn't dislike them, I couldn't relate to them. Tyler was a sexy fighter that was dedicated to his woman Danny. Yet he left her while promising to return for her, and never did. He never had a reason for not returning, and I couldn't figure out why he would stay away when he claimed to love her so much. He blamed himself for all that had happened to her and felt a lot of guilt for the turn her life took, but he didn't ever check in on her? It just didn't make sense. Danny had been through a lot, and I can't even imagine going through the horrors that her foster father put her through. She ran away to escape and turned to drugs as a way to cope. I felt her pain and I didn't blame her for making some bad choices, even though I don't condone her method of coping. I didn't really understand her though either, and I felt like her actions didn't make sense a lot of times. Several of the things that she did had me shaking my head, and I felt like she was pretty immature. While I felt like Tyler and Danny had a strong connection through their pasts as well as chemistry between them, I didn't really feel like their reconciliation was natural. It seemed rushed and a bit forced, and I couldn't believe how easy it was for them to move forward and pick up where things had been left.

I also felt like the biggest thing for me was Danny's drug problem. Danny was a drug addict and had been using for many years. But all of a sudden Tyler helps her to get clean by flushing all her pills and besides a few minor withdrawal symptoms she is back to normal. It was unrealistic, and while I didn't want to see her suffer, I also didn't want it to be so easy that it wasn't believable. I felt like the author really skipped a lot of what Danny would have been going through and it really took me out of the story because it was so noticeable. I kept waiting for Danny to get to the worst of it and I thought that going through that with Tyler by her side would really solidify their new relationship, but we just never got to see that. While I think that this book had a lot of potential, for me it just fell short. If you are looking for a quick romantic suspense, you might give this one a shot.

**ARC Provided by SubClub Books**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N |





0 comments :

Post a Comment