in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

ARC Review: Only Enchanting by Mary Balogh


Book Four in Mary Balogh’s Survivor’s Club Only Enchanting wasn’t as good as the last one I’ve read, but it was still a good read. My least favorite trope jealous former love out to sabotage the new lovers, although the main story circles around Flavian and Abby’s relationship. I loved Flavian because he has a logical reason for being how he is aloof and pulled back from society, because his injuries after being shot in the head and trampled by a horse he has memory loss and a slight stutter. Abby doesn’t want passion she thinks it’s bring about bad things and even when she married she did so to a safe man she didn’t love. Her mother abandoned her and her sister making her sister miss out on her season in London in order to take care of her. Abby now a widow lives with her sister and is quite content.

Flavian was taken by the enchanting Abby when they met at a dance and Abby found herself in love with Flavian after one dance. Several months later Abby and Flavian find themselves together again and Flavian cannot let her go for she ignites something in him he cannot understand. With only knowing that Abby makes him happy he proposes and even with her fear of passion Abby agrees. Coincidentally Flavian’s mother and sister keep dropping hints that his former fiancée is over her year of mourning. Even though everyone thinks he married Abby to avoid the ex fiancée; he married Abby because he wanted to. He battles with remembering what happened all those years ago and why he feels such a strong hatred toward the woman who left him for his best friend. Flavian also does something that initially hurts Abby but in the long run she see why he did it and is glad he did, he finds her mother and helps defuses the possibilities of rumors about Abby. Overall it is a good book to read as a stand-alone or as part of the series.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N |





3 comments :

  1. Aw, that's sad you weren't as big of a fan of this one, I really loved this novel! I really loved how Flavian was so entranced by Agnes (that's the main character's name, by the way, not Abby! Just a heads up!) and didn't know why because she was just an ordinary girl. Their relationship was so sweet and it was fun seeing them fall for each other and obsessing over each other when they didn't want to. While Flavian's ex-fiance was a bit jealous, I didn't mind her part in the story at all. Did you know, though, that the next book is about Ralph and Chloe!? I'm so excited for that one! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    -Jessica (Peace Love Books)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when I do that, the book I was reading when I wrote the review had the name Abby. Thanks for correcting me on that Jessica. I did love how entranced he was with her. I too am very excited for the next one. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one, but I will confess that I found it slower paced than the ones before it. Flav was such an interesting hero and I still felt he was a bit of a mystery- in a good way- when it was over.

    ReplyDelete