in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

ARC Review: Clean Break by Abby Vegas


Clean Break
This book was just not for me but pay attention to a few key things because this might actually be just what you are looking for. I am a particular kind of reader and there are two things that I want to have both significant quantity and quality in my books: romance and sex. I can do without the sex if the romance and the story are good enough but I am not going to enjoy a book that I think is lacking in both things. That's what happened here, this book just didn't give me a story that was focused enough on the relationship between Lane and Viktor or on the freaky details that can sometimes feel in the gap.

I sensed there was going to be an issue with his book pretty early on when I couldn't follow what was happening in the plot and I was seriously wondering if this was a romance novel. There is a lot of information provided about Lane's emotional trauma which occurred after she suffers a major loss in her life. There is a hint that she coped by spending herself into poverty and I think the author is trying to build some compelling emotional context for the main character. The problem is that for me it just didn't work. I didn't feel empathy towards Lane, I just felt really really confused. I appreciate that the author wanted to build up to revealing all the details about Lane's background but I needed more information just to relate to her. Without that information, I was just rolling my eyes through like the first 10% of the book.

I was positive I was going to have a problem with this book when Viktor is introduced. I seriously wasn't sure tht Viktor was going to be the Hero in the book because there was zero chemistry between Viktor and Lane. Even after Viktor and Lane start spending time together, I felt nothing between them. I honestly felt like Viktor spent time with Lane because Lane was lonely and needed a friend. I was actually confused when they hooked up. I was also kind of lost when they almost hooked up but then didn't because Lane had issues. And that is because I still didn't have a clear understanding of what the hell was wrong with Lane, emotionally.

Another thing that I really don't like in my romance novels is when the author ventures too much into side plots. In this book I was completely annoyed by how much of the story is spent on the family that Lane works for. There is an interesting story there about how extremely crazy Lane's employers were but two things: first, I didn't care, at all. Second, I didn't think all the pages dedicated to Lane's employment did anything to advance the story of the romance between Lane and Viktor. It was like a completely separate book within the book and I hate that.

The last thing I want to note about this book (because this review is getting too dang long) is the absolute lack of sexy sex. Indeed, panties are referred to as "underpants." If you asked me 'what is the most unsexy way that panties can be described,' my answer would easily be 'as underpants.' Just NO! The sum total of the description of the characters first sexual interaction is 'he pulled her underpants off.' That's about all the information we get before the scene fades to black. I kept going but I was so doooone after that.

Look, if you want to read a potentially interesting story about a girl trying to put her life together after a major loss who starts a relationship with a quasi criminal, this might be the book for you. If you don't need all the romance and sex stuff but you prefer well developed subplots, again, this might be the book for you. Everybody else head for the nearest exit because this isn't going to do it for you.

**ARC provided by Author**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes |


0 comments :

Post a Comment