in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, May 19, 2016

ARC Review: Heart Breaker by Erin McCarthy


I have read and enjoyed a lot of books by Erin McCarthy, but I am sad to say that this wasn't one of them. I knew right away that I was going to struggle a bit with these characters and that held true throughout this book. Heart Breaker had such a cute blurb and I was really looking forward to reading about these country singers/songwriters. Unfortunately though this wasn't what I had been hoping for and it just didn't work for me. 

Chance Rivers grew up Nashville royalty and Jolene Hart fought her way to Nashville. But once they became a team they had everything. Being a singing and songwriting duo as well as a couple, their careers exploded. But when a very nasty and public breakup tore them apart, Chance and Jolene couldn't even be in the same room together without fighting. So when their manager forces them to work together to finish their album, things don't get off on the right foot. But as they begin to work together again, the sparks between them are more than they can fight and they find themselves becoming a duo in every sense once again. Can they make it work this time, or will history repeat itself? 

I struggled right away with these characters and they were a lot of my problems with this book. Both Chance and Jolene felt very immature, and much younger than they should have been. They were childish and it was clear from their actions at the very beginning of this story that they acted without thinking. They had horrible communication and acted rashly. I just couldn't connect with them, and honestly I had a hard time really believing in their connection as well. The attraction between them was clear, and I do believe that they had feelings for one another. But I just couldn't ever fully get behind their relationship because I honestly didn't feel like either of them were mature enough to handle a committed relationship with anyone.

Besides the characters here, the story itself was predictable and ended up feeling like so many others out there. There was nothing new or unique to hold my interest and I found myself skimming to get through and find out how things would end. As much as I was hoping to be proved wrong, things were cliched and went exactly the way I figured they would and I was ultimately disappointed. I really enjoyed Erin's older titles, but I haven't been able to connect with her newer books and this was another that just didn't work for me. If this one sounds like something you might like, I recommend giving it a shot. This could be a case of it not working for me personally. But if you are looking for an adult contemporary story, this one felt much younger and might be one you want to avoid.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes |





0 comments :

Post a Comment