in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Review: Author Anonymous by E.K. Blair


I have been trying to get my thoughts together on this book since I finished it. With as much controversy as there has been around Author Anonymous by EK Blair, I knew that I had to read this book if for nothing else than to satisfy my own curiosity. The one thing I can tell you is that if you read this book, you need to go in with an open mind. With a book like this, it is only natural for us as humans to speculate and want to know all the details. But remember that those involved, as this is a true story, are humans as well with real feelings and should be treated as such. By throwing names out there and saying horrible things about authors that you assume this might be, it is hurtful and can be damaging beyond the point of repair. 

So in case you don't know what this book is about, this is the story of Anonymous and a year of her life as told by EK Blair. She went to EK and asked for this story to be told, you can watch videos on EK's website explaining more if you are interested. Anonymous is an author that started out as an indie and was then traditionally published. During that time she found herself being tempted. She was growing apart from her husband and relished the time away at signings and author events to escape the life of being just a housewife and mother. While doing some research online, she found herself on a fetish site and started talking to the mysterious Alec. Soon things between Alec and Anonymous heat up, and she embarks on an affair with him while struggling to maintain her secret from her family. 

Yes this book involves cheating. Yes this book centers around a woman that you aren't always going to like. She does horrible things and makes bad choices. But do I think that she is a bad person? No, I don't. I think that she is a person who needs attention and was looking for something more. I don't agree with her actions at all, and I would never have done what she did. But I also find it hard to judge her to an extent because I have never been in her position. I felt sorry for her husband and kids. Mostly though, I feel sorry for Anonymous. I really believe that Anonymous needs to get help, and actually take that help seriously. Personally, I think that she needs to work on herself and focus on her well being as well as that of her kids. I honestly believe that she should do that alone, without Alec or her husband Landon. 

I will admit that I felt bad for Landon through so much of this book, and I honestly hate that he has never been made aware of the entire truth. While I hate what she did to him, Landon wasn't entirely blame proof either. I believe that in order for these two to ever have any hope for their relationship, Landon and Anonymous really just need to be completely open about everything that has happened, and at that point decide where their relationship is headed for the future. 

I have to say though that I felt her connection with Alec, and I could understand why she felt so drawn to him. Not that I agree with it, but I understood it. I really do think that Anonymous needed to make a decision though, and her stringing people along here really just hurt everyone involved more than they needed to be. Anonymous is a selfish person, and it was clear throughout that she puts her needs above everything and everyone. She is not the heroine here, but I don't really feel as though she is a villain either. I just think that she needs help and clearly has issues that continue to be unresolved. Beyond my personal opinions about Anonymous, Alec, or Landon, the writing was great. This was my first EK Blair book, and I can understand why Anonymous chose her to tell this story. She has a way with words, and I admire her for her unbiased telling of this story. She didn't try to paint anyone as a hero or villain, but rather just told the story. I felt like the story was genuine and as though it was the truth. Obviously we have no way of knowing if that is indeed the case, without Anonymous coming out and claiming this story as hers, but I felt like it was truthful. 

I think that this is one of those books that people will have strong feelings about, and there are going to be those that while they hate the content love the story and those that aren't going to like this story for what it is at all just because of the content. The one thing that I can say though is that if you go in with an open mind, I think that this story gives readers something very valuable, and that is the reminder of how important communication is. Anonymous could be anyone, and we never know exactly how we would react if we were in her shoes. But I do think that this story is one worth reading, if for nothing else than the conversations that it is sparking not only in the book world, but between husbands and wives, authors and their spouses, and those that might be going through something similar but might not have had the courage to speak to anyone about what they are going through if not for reading Anonymous's story.

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N


0 comments :

Post a Comment