in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, June 13, 2014

ARC Review: Charleston Heat by Samantha Garman


Charleston Heat is a short and enjoyable read by Samantha Garman. This is the first book of hers that I have read, so I really didn't have any idea what I was in for. I love rockstar romance stories, and I was excited to read about Brodie. I will say that while this one was a good read and I thought it was cute, I did have some mixed feelings. This one just fell a bit flat for me, and wasn't all I had been hoping for.

Having been left by her father and estranged from her mother, Shay isn't close to anyone besides her gay best friend and roommate Charlie. Her college boyfriend tried to use her for her connections, and ever since she has focused on her work. She has three jobs and is working on opening up a yoga studio with Charlie. She ends up meeting drummer Brodie Davidson at a charity event that she is working at, and Brodie instantly starts pursuing her. Shay tries to keep Brodie at arms length but Brodie isn't giving up easily and is determined to get Shay to give them a chance. But can Shay give a relationship a chance, or will his high profile career be more than she can handle?

I liked Brodie and Shay. Brodie was sweet and consistent and I really liked how he was with Shay. He didn't act like your stereotypical rockstar and I really liked that. He did have a past and had been used to lots of women and casual, but he didn't have any problems giving that up for Shay. He knew he wanted her and wasn't afraid to put it all out there. Shay was hard for me to warm up to at first. There wasn't anything wrong with her character, but she was just a bit prickly with even her best friend. She was pretty judgmental also and it annoyed me a bit. I did think that Brodie and Shay had good chemistry and they were great together, but I also thought that their relationship and connection seemed to happen a bit quick. I thought it seemed a bit too insta-love for my taste.

I also felt like this book while good and enjoyable was a bit predictable. There wasn't anything really new or different about this one, and it was easy to put down for me. While I liked the story, I just didn't have to know what would happen next and I did find my mind wandering a few times. I think my main problem is that it just seemed too rushed to me, so it was hard for me to really buy into the relationship and find it to be real and believable. I just didn't think that Brodie would have changed so completely as quick as he did and that he would change Shay's mind as fast as he did. This was a girl who wouldn't even say that she was dating him at first or call him her boyfriend, and then she is moving in with him after a month. I do think that this book is one that contemporary fans will enjoy, but if you are looking for a deeper connection this one might not be for you. I would read more from Garman in the future though, and would be interested to see what else she comes up with.

**ARC Provided by Book Plug Promotions**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N |





0 comments :

Post a Comment