in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, March 12, 2015

ARC Review: Hush Hush #1 by Anneliese Vandell


Not a good suspense and not a good romance so just not good.

I read the first chapter of this book and I was intrigued. I got that Sophia/April had an ax to grind with the old wealthy family that had something to do with her parents downfall and that their son (Liam) was serving up hot sex on a platter. From that point, it was a straight downhill descent into one bad trip for me. I’m at the 70% point and I just don’t think I can go on because I am now at the point where Sophia has gotten on my one good nerve I had in reserve for the issues of the week. It’s only Monday, I can’t do it.

I don’t even know where to start but I think things started to fall apart for me when I could not make sense of the underlying mystery. I don’t mean I couldn't solve it, I mean that there was some big brew haha over Sophia’s parents and I couldn't figure out why Sophia thought the Hawthorns were involved. Also, Sophia is supposed to be participating in this sophisticated “con” that she and her cousin spent countless hours cooking up but she proceeds to have NO coherent plan. Not only does she not have an actual plan for her “revenge” she embarks on a journey of doing the most random nonsensical ish ever in life. She is depicted as being just really….stupid. And question: Why doesn’t Liam wonder why Sophia lives in a hotel or doesn’t work?

There is one particularly annoying scene involving the Hawthorn's Mardi Gras party. Sophia does something which I simply cannot wrap my mind around. In an effort to “rectify” her behavior, she does a number of other equally stupid but much more embarrassing things with Liam.

You want to know what the craziest thing is? One of Sophia’s 50 “plans” is to seduce Liam and make him fall in love with her. Small problem, she’s a virgin who doesn’t know her G spot from her elbow. To make a small problem a truly large and significant one, I got 70% through this book and notwithstanding some of the most ridiculous foreplay scenes I’ve ever read, there is no actual sex. Liam is supposed to be this guy who only has sex (and not just any sex, the hot, rough, ugly kind) but there is no sex in this book, at least I didn’t find any. Oh, I can’t tell you anything else about Liam because we don’t get to know him at all. Maybe it’s in the last 30% of the book and good luck with that if so.

I think that if an author wants to write a book with a really intricate mystery plot, the author needs to sketch that ish out before they ever start typing. Figure out where we are going to end up and how all the pieces of the plot fit together and THEN write the book. I felt like I was reading a story where the plot was being created as the author went along and that just doesn't work for a romantic suspense. Part of building suspense is plugging in plausible details that build on one another, there just has to be some planning to make that happen.

And did I mention that the sex stuff was really bad? It was. Just awful.

**ARC provided by Author**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N |



0 comments :

Post a Comment