in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

ARC Review: Rule Breaker by Harper Kincaid


I have to say that when I started this book, I really had no idea what I was in for. I had read some reviews on this book before starting, and had seen it compared to another author's book with many people saying that it was very similar to that story. Since I hadn't read that story, I really can't say one way or another. What I will say is that while I did like some things about this book, I also had others that just didn't work for me. I think Rule Breaker by Harper Kincaid is one of those books that people will have some strong opinions on regardless of if you like it or not. This story is novella length and is a very quick read. It centers around Lauren who has just been dumped by her boyfriend who is getting back together with his ex on New Year's Eve. She goes to a bar where she knows that she will run into no one she knows and ends up meeting the sexy owner. Though she knows she should be following her Mama's Rules in order to find a nice guy to settle down with, she can't help but be drawn to Jackson. They give in to their attraction, and are soon developing real feelings for one another. But with Jackson's crazy ex wanting him back as well as their meddling families, do they have a chance at something together?

One problem that I usually have with novella length stories is that I usually feel as though we only get to know characters on the surface. I always want to dig a bit deeper, and I just don't feel like that is always possibly when you only have so few of pages. That is one of the issues I had with this story. While I liked Lauren and Jackson enough, I felt like I didn't really know them or connect with them. Their relationship was extremely rushed and was a severe case of insta-love. I didn't understand how Lauren could start something with Jackson so quickly, and the fact that they were fooling around not five minutes after meeting and she didn't even know his name was a huge deal to me. It was unrealistic and came off bad in her favor. I kept thinking she doesn't even know this guy and she is just taking his word that he isn't a total psycho. She then proceeded to take him home and they are basically together from that point on. I just didn't believe it. Though I did see the attraction between them and felt the heat, I just didn't really see the connection between them. Lauren thinks it's a one night stand, but Jackson says he wants more. This is all the morning after they meet and hook up. Though I liked them together, it just didn't work for me.

I did think that Jackson was a good guy though, and I liked the fact that he didn't let Lauren run from him. He also wasn't afraid to stand up to her parents and let them know when they were wrong. He was a good guy and I thought that he was great for Lauren. He might not have been what she or her family thought was right for her, but he proved that they were all wrong when it came to what she needed. Lauren was a bit harder for me to like because of her bad decisions at first. I thought that she was a bit stupid for letting Jackson in so completely as quickly as she did, and I have to say that made me judge her from that point on. While she had her moments that I liked her, I just found it hard to ever really support her after that. I will say that this was a quick and sexy read, and if you are looking for a bit of steam then this might be for you. But if you are looking for a deeper story that is real and believable, you might want to steer clear of this one.

**ARC Provided by Tasty Book Tours**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes | 





1 comments :

  1. A fair review and I agree with many of your points. Thanks for having me here and I can't wait for you to review more of what I've got coming up this year. :)

    ReplyDelete