in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

ARC Review: Professor Cline Revealed by J.M. La Rocca


Professor Cline is Mason Cline, a law professor at NYU. Emma is a law student at NYU. Mason is effed up 10 ways to Tuesday and Emma is…a law student….

I can’t put my finger on it but there was just SOMETHING about this book that didn’t do it for me. My best guess is that it was the depiction of Emma that left me with a case of the “meh”’s. Mason was a pretty compelling character, he was all angsty and effed up, just how I like them. When you put a female character into a story opposite a character like that, she needs some depth that I just didn’t get from Emma.

Emma was kind of the typical push-over 20 something year old just living life. The stuff that happened to her was more interesting than she was. So besides being physically attractive I didn’t really understand the connection between Emma and Mason. Emma was just…regular. There was never a point in the book when Emma really drew Mason out because of something she did. Now, that may be because this is a serial and we just have to wait to see what comes next but I’m a pretty impatient person. It’s like, if you want me to wait on a meal, I’m going to need a snack and I just didn’t get enough of one in this book.

I thought Mason’s back story was intriguing and I truly appreciated his very crazy coping mechanisms. I’m also a dark romance reader. If you’re not, things could get a little dicey for you. This doesn’t rank high on the “dark” scale but if you normally stick with the very “light” stuff, there could be some disturbing things in this book.

The writing of this book is good, the story, from Mason’s perspective is compelling and the sex is HAWT. My only issue with this book was that I found Emma, outside of the sex scenes, boring. That means I was bored by like 30% of this book. All that being said, I will still try Book 2 because I was intrigued enough by Mason to want to see what happens next with him.

A petty note: It didn’t effect my rating of this book but I went to law school and I don’t recall it being like this. I didn’t go to NYU (because those bastards had me on the wait list forever. Whatever, I’m over it) so I don’t know exactly how things go there but I’m going to assume it’s something like the school I did attend. I graduated several years ago so maybe things have changed but I’m reasonably certain they haven’t changed enough for the type of shenanigans that was going on in this book to be plausible. I say this in case you are considering attending law school and you think there is any chance any of this stuff will be happening to you. You are more likely to walk away with a nervous twitch and a lot of debt than a Emma-Mason situation.

**ARC provided by NetGalley**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N |




0 comments :

Post a Comment