in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Review: First Debt by Pepper Winters


I will admit that I haven't been this excited about a series in a long time. Pepper Winters has created such a unique world with her Indebted Series, and I honestly can't wait to get more. Each book leaves me hanging and wanting to know more. First Debt is the second book in the series, and is not a standalone novel. These books have to be read in order, and if you haven't read Debt Inheritance you definitely want to stop reading so you aren't spoiled on anything that happens. These books are not light and fluffy, and you should definitely consider if they are for you before beginning. I absolutely can't wait to see how things play out from here, and I am ready to learn more of the history between the Weavers and the Hawks.

First Debt picks up after the events of Debt Inheritance where Jethro gives Nila the chance to run and escape. If she makes it to the boundary she will be free of the debt inheritance and can leave, however if he catches her she must sign a document that goes above and beyond the debt inheritance and gives ownership of herself to Jethro. Of course Nila is caught and Jethro gains ownership of her. But as the first debt repayment approaches, Nila and Jethro find themselves drawn to one another more than ever. Nila finds strength in everything that Jethro does to her and is determined to use that strength to do what she needs to. Nila also begins to see that she is getting under his skin and takes every opportunity to exploit that. Jethro is continually surprised by Nila, and knows that she will ruin him. But with things becoming more complicated between them, sooner or later someone is bound to discover how things have changed.

Jethro was such a complete jerk in the first book, and he continued to have his cold and icy moments. But we also got to see so much more of him in this book. He is still mysterious and confusing, but he showed that things are far more complicated. Jethro is struggling with his position in the family, and with his feelings for Nila. He knows that things between them could destroy them both, and yet he finds himself drawn to her regardless. I honestly can't wait to find out more about his issues and what is really going on with him. It is clear that his family has gone to great lengths to retrain him on how he should act and feel, but with each slip of his facade I find myself more curious about who Jethro truly is. Nila continues to surprise not only Jethro, but the reader as well. With each horrible thing done to her, she is continuing to grow and evolve. She found inside her a strength and determination that she never had before, and it is great to see her coming into her own. Jethro and the Hawks have truly met their match with Nila, and I am looking forward to seeing her continue to challenge them.

I have to say, this book was really great and I had been worried that it wouldn't be. I feared that with so many books in the series that things would become slow and repetitive and possibly drawn out. But that wasn't the case with this book. I found it interesting and couldn't put it down. I needed more of the present and things between Jethro and Nila, and yet I also wanted to know more of their history and events from the past. I loved seeing Jethro and Nila start to come to terms with the connection between them though, and I find it fascinating how they both don't really know what to do with one another. They know that what they should be feeling and what they are actually feeling are at odds with one another, and yet they absolutely can't fight what is growing between them. I also was so glad to find out who Kite was in this installment. I knew who Kite was, and was so glad to find out I was right. It will definitely make things more interesting as the series continues, and after having it confirmed I really want to go back and read the first two books again. It just adds yet another layer into this complex world that Pepper Winters has created. Though it is frustrating to end with cliffhangers and be forced to wait for the next book, I find myself devouring these books and anxious for more. I can't wait to see what happens next for Nila and Jethro.

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | Book Depository |






0 comments :

Post a Comment