in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, May 13, 2016

ARC Review: Bound to You by Shawntelle Madison


I went back and forth over my rating of this book and finally settled on four stars. I was somewhere between 3 and 4 stars but decided it was best to round up based on my total impression of this book and this author. Despite a few issues I had with Sophie as a character and some of the plot points, the writing in this book is really good and overall I have positive feelings about the book.

So let's start with what I really like about this book. Xavier is an alpha billionaire who doesn't do relationships but instantly wants Sophie. Sophie is a concierge to the rich and privileged and is committed to not ever getting involved with another client. From the first time Sophie and Xavier meet there are all sorts of sparks flying. Xavier proposes a no-strings sort of involvement and Sophie fights it but it is clear that beyond her principles and past heart break she really wants Xavier. When Sophie does give in to Xavier I really like the two of them together. The relationship is sexy and interesting. Xavier is protective of Sophie and pretty much willing to put business aside if it is for Sophie's good. Sophie is also a strong heroine, for the most part. I enjoyed her transition from resistance to accepting that Xavier was the person for her.

The reason there is some wiggle room in my rating is because there were some things about this book that I just didn't get. For starters Sophie's attachment to her ex was a complete turn off for me. There is absolutely no cheating in this book so relax BUT Sophie is so attached to the memory of her ex that she continues to wear the cuffs he gave her. This particularly disturbed me when Xavier tries to give her something to replace the accessories and she would not do it. I just really didn't get that. I also felt like between the time that Sophie was sure she didn't want a relationship and Xavier felt the same way to the time they got together, something was missing. I just don't remember the part where the relationship developed to that point and I felt like I was missing something. Finally, there was more of a promise of erotic content than actual erotic content. The steamy scenes were good but didn't totally live up to their hype.

Like I said, overall the writing of this book and the execution are good which is why it gets 4 stars. I'm already on board to read the next book in the series and I'm looking forward to Carlie's story..

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes


1 comments :

  1. I read this and I agree with you. My rating was based on the same thing. I loved the beginning and the end while parts in the middle dragged a little. I will read the next one.

    ReplyDelete