in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, July 16, 2011

ARC Review: Forbidden by Em Petrova

Forbidden is a collection  of three different stories revolving around fantasies. Each story has a different set of characters and revolves from a different erotic theme.

Camp Buddies-M/M

In this story we are introduced to both Ian and Guy. Both have been best friends for the past six years, but have recently come across some problems with their friendship. Guy, trying to repair the friendship asks Ian on a camping trip so they can hash everything out. While on the trip both Ian and Guy start so see each other in a new light and decide that they want to explore on these new feelings.

I found this story quite enjoyable. I liked the progression between the characters and found that this was very believable. My only qualm with the story is the ending. I hate when authors throw in love and happy endings just because they think it needs a HEA. Everything was believable up until the point it goes from something new and exciting to love all in a span of ten minutes.

Rock/Star-M/F

Let me start out by saying that I really enjoyed the connection between Sig and Magnolia. I like that they are both passionate and have such strong feelings for one another. Their falling in love with one another was believable and I believed in it. I also liked seeing what inspired the both of them in regards to their art.

Now what I disliked about this story. I hate when authors throw conflict in a story when it doesn't need any. It doesn't really flow with the rest of the story and just makes me want to put the book down. It makes me feel disconnected from the story.

Another thing that I could not stand about this story was the use of really cheesy names in reference to sex and sexual happenings between the characters. I'm reading an erotica story, not a love story from thirty years ago. Terms like honey pot, love cavern, love nub, and honey hole just sound corny and makes me roll my eyes. Nothing takes me out of a story faster than seeing terms like this. They just seem so unromantic and passionless.

Mysery Lover-F/F

Out all of the stories I liked this one the best. Noelle has received an invitation to spend the weekend at a female only murder mystery party. She has no clue whom may have sent it to her, but she thinks it sounds like fun and decides to attend. Once there she is awakened  to possibilites and passions she has never felt before.

I was thankful that the author chose to keep the cheesy sex euphemisms to a minimum with this story.
I enjoyed watching Noelle's sexual transformation. This story was very sexy.

Overall

After reading all three stories I will say that the second story seemed out of place. It was a more typical love story versus being an erotic tale of fantasy like the first and third story were. When you first begin the book the author explains that she wants us to take a mini vacation while we see the characters live out their fantasies. I got that feeling with the first and third story, just not with the second. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the second story but it was not in any way thought of as a fantasy.

**This was an ARC copy provided by NetGalley.**

3 comments :

  1. Enjoying your reviews. I'm a new GFC follower from Book blogs. Would love a follow back on my blog. I have two book giveaways this week: Bella and Confessions of the PTA Mafia. Hope you'll enter. Donna

    http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading FORBIDDEN. I appreciate all you had to say about it, both good and bad. As for the term "honey hole," I deliberately put that into all my works. It's a personal joke with a critique partner. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Donna-Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate all the great comments. =)

    @Em Petrova-Thanks for taking the time out to stop by and comment. It means a lot to me. Glad to know that "honey hole" is a joke between your critique partner and yourself. =)

    ReplyDelete