in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, November 18, 2011

ARC Review: The Temptation of a Gentleman by Jenna Petersen

After finishing this book I'm not sure exactly sure how I feel. I feel a little disappointed with how and where this story ended up, which I hate to say because I normally love Jenna's books. But with this one I'm just left with kind of a blah feeling.

Noah Jordan, Marquis of Woodbury, knows it's his duty to settle down and get married. He's not really relishing the idea of settling down and living a boring quiet life, but when his former superior asks him to take on one last case before settling down, he jumps at the chance. The case takes him home to his estate in Woodbury, where he's been asked to investigate a neighbor who is suspected of killing his late wife. While Noah is out riding, he encounters Miss Marion Hawthorn, whom he feels an instant attraction towards.

Marion Hawthorn has always had a tumultuous relationship with her father and doesn't really understand why he now feels the need to bring her along on a business trip to Mr. Lucas' estate. Though Marion tries to make the best out of the trip she's still confused. When Marion comes across Noah, she finds herself instantly attracted and a friendship is quickly formed between the two. Though she doesn't really understand why her friendship with Noah bothers both her father and Mr. Lucas so much, until Noah informs her that he believes Mr. Lucas wants her as his bride. Marion is stunned and at the same time disgusted. She cannot stand Mr. Lucas and definitely does not want to be his bride. When she overhears her father and Mr. Lucas discussing her and the plans Mr. Lucas has for the two of them, she becomes frightened and seeks Noah's help and guidance. She believes Noah is a reputed Rake and wants him to ruin her so that Mr. Lucas won't want anything to do with her.

Noah wanting to help and to be closer to Marion, decides that she can help him with his investigation towards Mr. Lucas, whom he believes is guilty, that way insuring that Marion won't have to marry him or be ruined by Noah. Though the more they work together, Noah is finding harder and harder to resist Marion and her charms. He's finding himself having feelings for her that he's never felt for anyone before and it is really spooking him. He was supposed to come to investigate a murder, not fall for someone who isn't his betrothed.

I found that I really enjoyed the character of Noah. He is caring and protective. I enjoyed watching him battle his emotions he felt towards Marion. I love that he can't stay away. I mean honestly, who doesn't love when a Rake is brought down to his knees by a woman? Anyone?

As for Marion, I have mixed feelings towards her character. I loved her in the beginning of the story. I felt like she had a lot of spunk and she knew what she wanted and wasn't going to let anyone tell her otherwise. But by the end of the book, she just felt like a completely different character to me. She lost her spunkiness, and just became so lost. She just seemed so whiny to me and couldn't figure out what she wanted. Instead of talking and listening to Noah, she would just run away. It became very aggravating.

All in all, the story was just okay for me. I really enjoyed the first half, but once I hit the middle, the book just seemed to drag on. I think for me, the issue was with Marion, because like I said, I really enjoyed Noah.

**ARC copy provided by author**

RATING:


2 comments :

  1. I think it can be very disappointing when a character isn't consistent in personality throughout a book. Great honest review. I'll give this one a look if I come across it.

    ReplyDelete