in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, March 2, 2012

ARC Review: Kiss of the Vampire by Cynthia Garner

I picked up this book because it looked like it had a new and fresh spin on the paranormal world. The mythology behind everything seemed so different and unique. While this book is indeed different from others in this genre and I did love the spin the author took, I found the romance aspect of it kind of lacking.

Nix and Tobias used to date and were pretty serious when all of a sudden Tobias broke up with Nix without any rhyme or reason. Nix has never been able to get over Tobias and the way he hurt her. Since he left, Nix has found ways to control her demon and has submersed herself in her work as an investigator for the council.

Tobias has never been able to stop thinking about Nix and the love he has for her. By leaving he was actually trying to protect Nix. While they were together it seemed as if she was unable to take control of her demon half and once the demon takes over there is no going back to being a regular human. The person literally goes crazy and becomes completely evil. When Tobias is called in by the council to help investigate a string of gruesome vampire murders he comes face to face with Nix, the one person he was trying to avoid.

At first watching these two interact with each other was exciting. There was a lot of tension and chemistry mixed in with a lot of hurt. Both are still so in love with the other but in the case of Nix, she is still so deeply wounded by Tobias leaving unexpectedly that she is just full of anger.

When we get about half way into the story both characters seem to make a drastic change. All of a sudden they are both back together and everything is completely fine. Umm, hello? How did this happen? They never really even discuss what happened in the past and somehow everything is forgiven and swept under the rug. Also, both are supposed to be these tough characters but they both became so cheesy with each other. Everything became so cutesy and it embodied everything that I hate in romances. The hero constantly calls the heroine honey and the heroine becomes this drone of a woman who doesn't think for herself.

I also hate the the romance seemed to take a backseat to everything else that is going on in the book. Don't get me wrong I like action and suspense in my books, but I just hate when the romance takes a backseat to it. I like there to be an equal balance. It just seemed like chapter after chapter would pass and nothing is happening. Then all of a sudden "Bam" they are couple. I feel as if I'm missing something.

I'm not sure if I'll be picking up the next book in this series. While I did like this world and I do like the characters that are going to be in the next book, I'm not sure if I can deal with another story like this one. I read books for the romance and if the next one is anything like this one was I know I'll be very disappointed.

**ARC provided by NetGalley**

Purchase:

RATING:

1 comments :

  1. Thanks for hosting us today, and thank you also for taking the time to read and review my book. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete