in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, May 9, 2014

Review: Breaking the Rules by L.K. Lewis


Breaking the Rules is the debut novel from L.K. Lewis. I was really looking forward to this one after reading the blurb and I loved the cover! This book was different than I was expecting though, and while there were things that I liked there was a lot that left me with mixed feelings. This book had a lot of potential, and I think it could be really great with some work. It has the makings of a great story, and Morgan and Drake kept me interested enough to keep reading. But the writing style of the author took some getting used to, and wasn't one that I clicked with.

Morgan Lane has just finished grad school and gets a job at Baylor Industries with the help of her father. Her father is golf buddies with the owner and CEO of the company. On Morgan's first day she is surprised to find the son of the owner instead of the CEO at her meeting. Morgan and Drake Baylor Jr. are in instantly drawn to each other and share an intense attraction to the other. But Drake has been given a set of rules by his father in order to work at the company after his past. Drake intends to push Morgan away and keep things to a minimum and only professional. He cleaned up his act and doesn't want anything to interfere with the second chance his father has given him. But the more Drake and Morgan are around each other the harder he finds it to stay away from her. Morgan is interested in Drake, but doesn't understand his hot and cold attitude and can't figure out why he reacts the way he does to her. When Drake finds in impossible to stay away any longer, he comes clean with Morgan and tells her that he is not allowed to date anyone or have a relationship of any type until his father retires and he becomes CEO. Morgan and Drake are willing to fight for each other though, and decide to wait it out by seeing each other secretly. But will they be able to keep things hidden between them when they can't help but be drawn to each other?

I liked Drake and Morgan. They were both smart and hard working. They were both open and honest. I liked that they both weren't afraid to lay everything on the line for their relationship and the fact that they had no problem really telling the other how they were feeling. They were drawn to each other from the beginning and you could tell that they were extremely attracted to each other. That being said though, their relationship was a huge case of insta-love and I had trouble believing that they were as madly in love with each other as they claimed. It was extremely fast, and it was more physical than anything. They didn't know each other at all basically, and yet somehow they just knew that they were meant to be. It felt more like lust than anything to me. But once I got over that, and saw them together more I could tell that they were good together. Their feelings seemed to become more real as the story went on and I really believe that at the end their relationship was more than just physical. I just wish that things wouldn't have been so rushed between them.

I also felt like because of the author's writing style and the way that the chapters were written, this book was really choppy to me. It didn't flow as well as I would have liked, and I felt like the transitions needed work. The chapters were really short and switched back and forth between POVs pretty randomly. I will admit that while I liked getting both Drake and Morgan's POVs, I felt like the way that it was done really drew me out of the story and caused me to lose interest at points. I liked Drake and Morgan though, and I feel like their story is a good one despite the problems I had. I was curious to see how everything would play out and I will be interested to see what happens for them in the next book. There is a second book and things are left up in the air at the end of this story, so it will be interesting to see what happens next. I also hope to see more of Morgan's best friend! I loved her character. While I loved her character, I really hated Drake's dad and Adrian. I know a lot of people will probably really like Adrian, but I have to admit that he rubbed me wrong from the start and he seemed to be up to something. I knew he was still interested in Morgan and I figured he would try to come between her and Drake. He just seemed really shady. Drake's dad was so different than he seems at first, and I honestly don't understand why he is the way he is. His actions at the end of this book really confused me, and I really hope that he gets whats coming to him. I think that this series has promise, and even with my criticisms I would still recommend reading this one. If you not a fan of insta-love though, this one might not be for you. I look forward to reading the next book in this series and can't wait to see where L.K. Lewis takes these characters in the future.

**Copy provided by Xpresso Book Tours**

Purchase: | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |



0 comments :

Post a Comment