in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Review: Tangled Up in Blue by J.D. Brick


Tangled Up in Blue is the first book in the Ikana College series by J.D. Brick. I have to say that the blurb is what drew me in here, as I didn't like either cover I have seen for this book. I wasn't digging the guitar cover, and while the other one looks good at first glance it also looks as though the guy is trying to eat the poor girl's face. But after reading the blurb, I knew I wanted to read this one despite the covers. I will also say that this book does end with a cliffhanger. Not sure how I missed that before starting this one, but suffice it to say I was shocked when this one ended and wasn't over.

When Keegan needs to move out of the dorms quickly, she ends up at the one place she can quickly find with a vacancy. She is the youngest editor ever for her campus newspaper, and besides the paper she also needs to focus on her grades. So when she realizes that her new house and roommates are known for their parties, she immediately knows that she is in for a change. But Keegan and Blue are instantly drawn to one another, and though they know they should stay away from one another find themselves unable to fight the connection between them. With Keegan's reason for leaving her dorm room still out there though, these two will have more to worry about than just falling for the last person that they expected. 

I liked Keegan and Blue. I didn't necessarily care for their crazy names, but I did like that they had a story behind them and that the author made that such a large part of the story. As much as I liked these characters though, I have to say that for some reason I just didn't ever feel connected to them. Not sure what it was, but there was just this disconnect there between me and their story and it had me wanting to put this book down more than once. I did like them and it wasn't as though there was anything bad about them, I just never truly felt invested in their story. Keegan was smart and dedicated to being successful at what she did. She was pretty straight-laced and even a bit naive at times. Blue was pretty easy-going and liked to have a good time, yet beneath the surface he had a lot he was dealing with. He didn't let others in easily and yet he found it easy to with Keegan. I liked these two together, and it was clear that they had a lot of chemistry and a connection that just kept getting stronger.

There were a few things that kept this story from being one that I loved besides just my disconnect from the characters. I found things to be a bit over the top at times with the dialogue and stories, and it just didn't feel natural to me. Things felt a bit forced, and I just didn't enjoy that. I also hated the repeated use of the word "loins". I have no idea why that was necessary to this story, but it seriously got on my nerves and just felt odd. This wasn't some old school bodice ripper, but yet every time that word appeared it just gave this book a cheap cliched feel and I hated it. I will say that while there were enjoyable parts here, overall this story wasn't my favorite. It does end with a cliffhanger, so there is a chance that I will read the next book just to see how things finish for Blue and Keegan. But with no release date in sight and no information about when to expect the next book, I have to say that I am not sure I will still feel the need to read it depending on when it does finally arrive. If you are okay with cliffhangers and can handle no knowing when the next book is coming, you might give this one a shot if you think it sounds like something you are interested in. But if you are waiting for a complete story before starting, you might want to keep an eye out for the sequel to this one before you dive in.

**Review Copy Provided by AToMR Tours**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | Book Depository





0 comments :

Post a Comment