in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, January 20, 2019

ARC Review: The Mad Herringtons by Jane Myers Perrine


From what I can tell, The Mad Herringtons is a standalone book from Jane Myers Perrine. I was bored a bit at the beginning of this book, and I didn't connect well with any characters. However, as the story progressed, it got better, until by the end I discovered I really enjoyed it. Also, by the end, I was happily surprised to realize it was a relatively clean historical romance! This is a rarity, and I am excited by it.

Aphrodite Herrington comes from a very large family. She feels like an outsider to her kin, and she is very reserved and responsible while her family is each ruled by their passions. A couple years prior she let her heart start to be ruled by passion, but it failed her. So she is looking for a respectable marriage. She is pleased when Mr. Horne offers her marriage, or well a almost proposal based on a meeting with his mother. She agrees to go to a house party in the country to make Mr. Horne's mother's acquaintance.

Upon hearing of the almost engagement of Aphrodite and his cousin, Mr. Horne, Viscount Thomas Warwick thinks to save her from his outrageous Aunt. Despite his proclamations that he is only there to support his cousin, he cannot stop thinking about Aphrodite and their courtship from before. He just cannot seem to keep himself out of meddling with the potential engagement.

What I really liked about this book was the transformation in all of the characters. There were some side plots for the supporting characters like the other party guests, I like it when people show convincing growth. It makes the romance(s) also more convincing. Again I was happy to find this book didn't need the sexual encounters of so many others within this genre. If I remember correctly there were a couple of desirous imaginings or thoughts, but nothing more than that. Refreshing and a diamond in the rough for readers who have to usually skip those blush inducing scenes.

I am glad that this book got better and better as it progressed. It was a good standalone, but of course I became interested in the Herrington family. It left me wanting more. If that's not a sign of a good book, I don't know what is!

**ARC provided by NetGalley**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | Apple |


0 comments :

Post a Comment