in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, October 20, 2013

ARC Review: Wild Child by M. Leighton


Wild Child is a short novella in M. Leighton's Wild Ones Series. It takes place after The Wild Ones and is Jenna and Rusty's story. Wild Child can be read without having read The Wild Ones, but I would still recommend that you read it. I loved Cami and Trick from The Wild Ones and was excited to get more of them. I was also anxious to get to know Jenna and Rusty better since I really liked them as well.

Jenna has just graduated college and is looking for a job to start her career. She returns home to attend the wedding of her best friend Cami and her fiance Trick. Jenna has always wanted to leave her small town but after a summer fling with Rusty, her feelings for him have her wanting him more than anything she has ever wanted before. Rusty has some abandonment issues from his father leaving him and his mother. He knows that Jenna wants out of town and he thinks its only a matter of time before she leaves him. So he does the only thing he possibly can to protect himself and he leaves her first. But after tragedy strikes, Jenna and Rusty are forced to face how short life can be. Will they let their relationship go in order to protect themselves and go after what they thought they wanted? Or will they figure out a way to go after their dreams and a relationship together work?

I liked both Jenna and Rusty. I liked that Jenna was true to herself and went after what she wanted. I liked that she was a great friend and a great girlfriend. She was thoughtful and sweet, and you could really tell how much she cared about those that she loved. I liked that Rusty was a fun guy who wasn't afraid to grow up and be an adult when the time came. I wished that he would have talked to Jenna about everything instead of just assuming he knew what would happen though. I didn't feel as connected to Jenna and Rusty as I did to Cami and Trick though, and I think part of that was that this novella was so short. I just felt like we didn't really get to know them as well as I would have liked. I did think that Rusty and Jenna had a lot of chemistry though and I loved the steam they had between them. It would have been nice to see more of their emotions and connection though.

I thought that this was an enjoyable story and a nice addition to the series. I wish that it would have been longer because I think that there was a lot we missed out on with Jenna and Rusty because of the length. I felt like their story was pretty rushed, and if I wouldn't have read The Wild Ones first I think it would have felt even more rushed. I also felt like because I had read the first book, that there were a few things from that story about Jenna and Rusty that had been dropped and never picked up again. In The Wild Ones, Jenna starts out with a boyfriend and then meets Rusty. They decide to start having an open relationship and seeing others as well, and that is when things begin with Rusty. But I don't remember her boyfriend ever being mentioned again and I think I was missing a bit of that closure, so in the back of my mind I kept waiting to read something about him. Even though I loved Cami and Trick and enjoyed seeing more of their HEA, I felt like they sort of took over Wild Child. Between them and the tragedy that happens, Jenna and Rusty almost felt like a minor part of this story for me rather than the focus. I hope that in the next story we get more of Jenna and Rusty and maybe a few of the blanks will be filled in. Overall though I did enjoy this story and it was a nice quick read. I think that M. Leighton is a great writer, and she has a way of coming up with wonderful and interesting characters. The characters in this series are no exception. I am excited to see where she continues to take these characters as well as get the story of Jenna's brother Jake in the next book Some Like It Wild which is due to release in March.

**ARC provided by Inkslinger PR**





0 comments :

Post a Comment